I have a house to rent out. Would a realtor charge to handle this?

Asked by Ugly Frank, Elkhart, IN Sun Oct 16, 2011

A realtor told me someone might be interested in renting it. Would the realtor who told me charge me if I rented it to this person?

Answers

5
Marita Topmi…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Mon Oct 17, 2011
Hi Frank,

Get in touch with the Realtor and ask how much he/she would charge to bring
you the renter. I don't think the Realtor gave you the name of the prospective
renter or your question would be different.

Negotiate the price. You can advertise the home yourself on places like
Craigs List. Or you can ask that Realtor to advertise your home on the local
mls. Expect to pay anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to one month's rent.

Good Luck,

Marita Topmiller
Indianapolis area
Vitaly Petrov, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Sun Jul 7, 2013
If you have any written agreement with realtor, this will what important.
If not, you can pay or not or you can give him referral and feedback on his professional web.
With respect
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Oct 16, 2011
The commission is negotiable. If you used the Realtor to handle the rental, the charge might be in the range of 1 month's rent. Again, though, it's negotiable.

If you rented it out yourself, without the Realtor being involved and without having a listing agreement signed with the Realtor, you'd owe nothing.

Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Oct 16, 2011
Frank,
Unless you have a signed agreement, the agent would be hard pressed to demand a fee. You may however want to consider the value of the service they provided and discuss the subject with them. If they did it expecting nothing, you may have a good friend in the business worth referring people to. If they were hopeful of some compensation, realize that if you didn't have this contact, your rental may be vacant a while longer. Is it worth something to you to have a good tenant in the home sooner rather than later?
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sun Oct 16, 2011
Unless you've entered into some sort of property management agreement with this Realtor, then no. If the agent just casually refered someone to you, and you end up renting to that person, it might be nice to offer the Realtor some sort of a referral fee.