I currently rent a home in the town of southampton in ny. I found the place via broker and paid the broker fee. after moving in with one months rent

Asked by Virginia Lee, Flanders, NY Fri Aug 16, 2013

one months security and the non refundable broker fee I discovered many issues with the house. 10 Windows and only two open. the heat went out at least once a month this past winter also the ac speed working once a month this summer my house has reached 94 degrees die to this and I have a new born as well as animals. There is an illegal apartment downstairs and there's been numerous times I've smelled weed coming from down there. I spoke to my landlord and it still happens. hot water also comes and goes. the water has been shut off by the water authority and my landlord has come in my home with no approval from me while I want home to purge the pipes so he claims. ive gotten to the point im fed up. ive emailed the town for an inspection and haven't heard back. I know in this town it is required to have a permit to rent out a house n u must claim the income. I know he's not claiming it because when I applied for public assisrance he asked that I write a non exsisting reality on the paper rather then his name so he didn't lose his medicaid. I understand if I don't pay rent he can evict me but should I take him to court to try and get any money back for being a slumlord??

Answers

7
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sat Aug 17, 2013
Working two jobs.
Baby and pets.
And no money tree in the back yard.
You are in a difficult situation.
-
There exists a vindictiveness in the words you write that will not serve you well. Your life will expereince greater sesasons of sunshine when you nurture gratefulness instead of retaliation.
-
Now, stick with me as I go through this scenerio. I'm not lecturing, but I am establishing criteria that will prove essential later.
-
If your situation is the result of habitual bad decisions and irresponsible action, it wil be difficult to find the help needed to change your situation and circumstances. It is time to tell yourself the truth.
-
If however, your situation is not of your creation, and that temporary assistance, a helping hand, will create the economic space for you to establish a solid econmomic foundation, help most certainly can be found. I believe you are working hard and responsible. You have responsibilities and want to fullfilll them. You just need temporty help. It is important that you distinguish what you 'WANT" from what you need. Those you speak with will, and will make their decisions accordingly. Be honest with yourself and you won't be surprised by the outcome.
-
Now, take yourself to the nearest Salvation Army. Make them aware you have a child, working two jobs and the nature of your TEMPORARY situation. The consultants there wil be able to direct you to the resources in place for those who need a helping hand. THERE ARE NO RESOURSES AVAILABLE FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR A HAND OUT!
-
The secondary resource to which you will be referred will further evaluate how other services can prove benefical to you. Be prepared to discuss how improving your income by attaining other skills or education has been your dream, but simply can not afford such expenses today. Look for the opportuntiy for this discussion...don't force it. You will hear nothing until they are able to present you with residency and education solutions. Mantain communication with your SA contact.
-
There are many, many, many folks like myself who specificly fund such residency and training programs looking for deserving folks, like yourself. who are making every effort, making good decisons, are responsible, but circumstances, not of their making, have been imposed upon them and their family. Even in the presence of such circumstances, you must, must, must be able to articulate GRATEFULNESS. Without greatfulness, no amount of help will make you happy. (this is exceedingly important)
-
Invest in the self-evaluation I suggested. When you have a clarity regarding YOUR solution, then make the trip.
-
Three, four, five, fifteen years from now, you will pass it forward as I have been, recognizing that some simply need the hand of another to grasp for a moment.
-
For you I wish the very best.
Robbie Vaughn, Agent, Mineola, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
You have several options, but you may need legal advice.

You may want to research "Warranty of Habitability" and look for an organization that provides free legal services in your area.

Virginia Lee, Home Buyer, Flanders, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
I already work two jobs. I have a baby and im sure you're aware money doesn't grow on trees I would need to save and not pay rent for the next three months. But thanks for your input
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
If the living conditions are unbearable, why not simply begin looking for a new home....
Ralph Windsc…, Agent, Hauppauge, NY
Sat Aug 17, 2013
If the renting broker knowingly rented you an illegal apartment - which very well might be if the illegal apartment existed when you rented the place, then you may have a way to get your broker's fee back. We're not supposed to take a rental listing if it is not legal and does not have permits. I would call the agent and let them know that you may go to the town and see what happens.
Virginia Lee, Home Buyer, Flanders, NY
Fri Aug 16, 2013
I never actually filed for the assistance so I never filed out the paperwork
Irene Anders…, Agent, Mt Sinai, NY
Fri Aug 16, 2013
If you were complisant in lying to the state so he could keep Medicaid you won't get a lot of sympathy in court. You have to go to court with clean hands. When the water gets turned off call the department of health.

Start looking for a place to live and get out of that situation
You are better off starting to look for a new place to live. Move on be happy and live in a better environment for you, your children and your animals. Don't sign a new lease.
Anything with court or with holding rent please seek legal counsel
Flag Fri Aug 16, 2013