Luke Shiras, Renter in

I am renting a home in northern California and wonder if all windows should open.

Asked by Luke Shiras, Sun Mar 24, 2013

I am renting an older 3 bedroom home and mainly have concerns about windows not working. 1 bedroom has a garden window that does not open except for small part up top, the hall bath, living room and dining room windows/door (dining door to patio is painted shut) do not open. They must have at one time because they have the cranks on the bottom. The property management and home owner do not want to fix them. Is this an issue? Also, one of the bedroom doors wont close all the way, the bathroom lock doesn't work properly and I have found over 100 nails in the backyard by the shed/garden and the property management looked at me like I was nuts for even bringing it up.

Answers

3
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Apr 3, 2013
Hmmm.
Have you spoken to the town's building department/inspector to see if those things are acceptable/normal/allowed/etc.?

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Rafael Herna…, Agent, Roslindale, MA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Yes this is definitely something that should be fixed by the property manager. You can always complaint to the local city inspection all services if management is not addressing your concerns.
gloria cirolo, Agent, Arlington, MA
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Hi Luke, yes you do have issues especially finding a ton of nails in the back yard.
I would put it all in writing, and send to the landlord/property management company.
Also make certain you keep a copy for your records. If you have lease please read it
through and you will see that these matters need to remedied. I wish you the best!