I am relocating to Denver with work and concerned that while I have good income and rental history I have poor credit (recently divorced) Any advice?

Asked by Heather, Denver, CO Mon Aug 18, 2014

Answers

4
Ruthann Fisc…, Other Pro, Denver, CO
Thu Aug 21, 2014
Denver market is tight and landlords may choose among multiple applicants. Specific criteria is used to quantify future risk based on any applicant's past behavior. Eviction history, lease violations. Any documented history of your life that shows a consistent history or responsible, reliable behavior may help. Are you trustworthy to turn the keys over to and willing and able to pay rent on time.
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Mon Aug 18, 2014
Hi Heather:

I am assuming you are looking for another rental, not a property to purchase. If, as you say, your credit score has taken a temporary hit, then you might compensate by getting letters from previous landlords attesting to your payment history. Pay stubs from your employer may also help.

If you do want to buy a dwelling, a lower credit score may make getting a mortgage difficult, but not necessarily impossible. There are lenders who can work with more modest credit scores. And some mortgage brokers now have tools to help you figure out the best ways to improve your scores relatively quickly. If you need help finding a mortgage broker with skills in this area, let me know.

Ron Rovtar
Boulder CO
Shaun Dixon, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Sat Aug 30, 2014
The best way to build your credit would be contacting http://www.lexingtonlaw.com. I've had some past clients that used them and they improved their score by 50 points in just 2 months. Pay down your balances on any credit cards with high limits and dispute as many trade lines as possible.
D.R. Phillips, Agent, Loveland, CO
Fri Aug 29, 2014
Honesty is the best policy. Let potential land lords know up front you have some credit issues. Be prepared to give them first and last months rent along with the security deposit. If you do not have it don't ask them to be your banker and let you pay these over time. Get the money from family or friends and pay them back not the landlord you just met.
I agree with this post. Be honest. It's easier to remember!!

Flag Sun Aug 31, 2014