I am looking to move in mid to late August, which I have heard is when things get crazy on the market. How soon is too soon to start looking?

Asked by Eva Mizer, New York, NY Thu May 2, 2013

We are successful and have 'good'-'excellent' credit.

Answers

7
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri May 3, 2013
The apts in NY tend to move very quickly so get a handle on what your money will get you now. It doesn't make sense to get too aggressive now because most apts will list the month before.

Christopher Pagli
Accredited Buyer Representative
Licensed Associate Broker
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu May 2, 2013
Depends, if you don't want to wait until the last minute, can you carry both leases should you locate another apartment before your current expires....
Trevis Dane…, , New York, NY
Thu May 2, 2013
Hi Eva,

Most apartments are listed 4 weeks out from when theyre available. So for an August 1st move in date, the homes will start to hit the market on July 1st. In my opinion starting to search any sooner than a month out will be a waste of your time. Also during the summer months apartments move rather quickly, so I would suggest having all of your paperwork together prior to starting your search to make sure you don't miss out on the perfect place.

Trevis
Bobby Neil, Agent, New York, NY
Fri May 17, 2013
Hi Eva,
It's a bit early. Yes the Market gets heated up in August. But a lot depends on the size and location that you require. I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I just need all the details.
Best of luck to you!
Bobby
Michelle Wei…, Agent, New York, NY
Thu May 16, 2013
Hi Eva,
There are already some listings on the market that have 9/1/13 start dates! This is a bit early, but do start looking in late June/early July and be ready to provide all your financials, a good recommendation from your current landlord, first month's rent, 1 month security and the Broker's fee of 15% of the first year's rent. If you are thinking of renting a coop it can take 4-8 weeks for Board approval and you will need a lot of documentation that your agent will help you prepare (the Board Package) for example: the last 2 years of tax returns, letters of reference, personal & business, letter from your employer and many other documents that the Board will require. So it is best to be super ready when your find your new home - the NYC rental market waits for no one, especially downtown.
Michelle
__________________
Michelle Weissman
Senior Associate Salesperson
The Corcoran Group
d: 212.360.2462
f: 212.415.6369
m: 917.293.3427
Michelle.Weissman@corcoran.com
1226 Madison Avenue, New York NY, 10128
Member of The Real Estate Board of New York
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Wed May 8, 2013
The month before is the time to look. NYC apts. go quickly. If you want to move mid to late August, July is the time to look. You might have to take it for August 1 however. The first and the fifteenth are typically lease start dates.
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Fri May 3, 2013
Please contact me and I will be happy to assist you. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353. Thankl you and good luck.