How many of you have rented properties through the section 8 program? How has it worked for you?

Asked by Matt Andrews - Real Estate Investor, Clearwater, FL Tue Nov 1, 2011

Answers

2
Lisa Reeves’ answer
Lisa Reeves, Agent, Tampa, FL
Wed Nov 2, 2011
I have used section 8. Its relatively easy if your property is good. There is an annual check and I believe landlords must take an eduction course now too. You have to be very particular with your tenant because I have had one get kickout of the program right in the middle of a lease due to something they did at another property. They gave me less than 30 days notice that they would be off the program and I had to find a new tenant.
Kenneth Lee, Agent, Piedmont, CA
Wed Nov 2, 2011
I have rented to several Section 8 tenants and have had generally positive experiences. The biggest advantage of a Section 8 tenant is that you are practically guaranteed to receive your rent on time (at least the Section 8 portion of the rent as the program may not cover the entire amount). The biggest disadvantage is that if you have an older property you may be required to make improvements in order to meet newer building codes and/or improve accessibility and other issues to accommodate the elderly and disabled.