How is the renting market in San Francisco?

Asked by Christopher Shue, San Francisco, CA Wed Apr 25, 2012

I am looking in the $800-1200 range for a studio. Or below $2400 for a 3 bd 1 ba house.

Answers

3
voices member, , San Francisco County, CA
Mon Jun 4, 2012
Hi Christopher,
Studios are currently pricing at $1200 and above on average and moving very quickly while 3 bedrooms are generally going to get at least $3000. That's not to say that there are not some good deals out there.

Be proactive, bring your credit report, pay stubs, landlord and work references. This helps the leasing agent a lot even if they still have to run their own credit report. If credit is good, you should have just a 1.5 x rent security deposit tops as 2 months is the maximum allowable deposit in SF. If there is an open house, see if you can get in before the open for a viewing. Move fast with all of your information would be my best advice to you. Good luck!

Angela Hamby, Esq.
Broker Associate
Climbsf.com
Mark Thomas, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Unfortunately, Jed is right. The Bay area job market is hot right now, fueled by another mini tech-boom that we're in. As such, rent prices are anywhere from 25%-50% higher compared to a year ago, and getting 15-25 applicants per spot. You're going to have to get creative in how you try and stand out from the rest of the applicants -- either by offering a higher security deposit, pre-paying for more than one month's rent in advance, etc. etc. Be creative and flexible and you should be able to find something.

Mark Thomas
ReasLo
"Automation of the entire real estate process"
http://reaslo.com/
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Wed Apr 25, 2012
The rent market is tight right now. the studio range is close but you are too low on the houses.
I manage property and can tell you that there are many people looking for rentals now. For example last year this time I offered a house and had three inquiries in three weeks. This year I had another property come available in the same rent range and I had seventeen inquiries in the first day.