How do I pay the property owner my deposit and not get scammed?

Asked by Melissa Rangel, Baytown, TX Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

7
Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Are you talking about a rental or home sale????

If you are paying a deposit for a key do not even think about sending that person a dime through western union. If it sounds fishy move on.
Russ Douville, , Saint Paul, MN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
If you're uncomfortable, trust yourself and don't do it. There are other properies out there.
Irina Gleizer, Agent, BROOKLYN, NY
Tue Jan 15, 2013
i would advise you to pay with check, it would be your proof, and you will have no problem
Web Reference:  http://www.talktownre.com
Vicki Schwar…, Agent, Victoria, MN
Tue Jan 15, 2013
I would find a title company that will hold the escrow and close the property. They will make sure he is the owner and can sell you the property. I am assuming the property is here in the US correct?
Melissa Rang…, Renter, Baytown, TX
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Okay I can do checks it's just he is in china and never done this and want to be sure my money is not being thrown away. I looked for a number to trulia to make sure it's legit. No luck.
Vicki Schwar…, Agent, Victoria, MN
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Agree to use a closing agent or title company who will hold the earnest money/deposit until closing. BUT - if you feel you are at potential for getting scammed with just the deposit - what else is going on to make you feel that way.
Lenny Frolov, Agent, Brooklyn Park, MN
Tue Jan 15, 2013
What is making you already suspicious that you will be scammed? Do you think that the owner is not who he says he is? Pay him with a check so you have a record of him cashing it.