Rental Basics in Dayton>Question Details

thebradybunc…, Renter in Dayton, OH

How do I find out if a rental property has a certificate of occupancy?

Asked by thebradybunch6, Dayton, OH Sun Jun 10, 2012

As prospective renters, we want to be careful who we rent from. Asking for a certificate of occupancy from a prospective landlord, well, it sometimes doesn't go over all that well. To us, that's an alarm anyway, but is there a way to find out on our own if a certificate exists?

Answers

3
James Gordon ABR SFR SRS ’s answer
The certificate of occupancy is revoked so rarely that most people do not ask. I have never run into a revoked CO even on fire damaged lender owned properties full of organic growth. That may be the reason that you are getting strange looks from prospective landlords. The only time I see a CO is at closing on a new construction home and only if we ask for it at the time of the contract.
Call the city zoning board.
The county or city will have a record of it if they issued one. Contact the local building department to ask. Not being the owner I am not sure how much trouble you will have.
How much trouble could the property owner, or property manager be in if they don't have a certificate?
Flag Sun Jun 10, 2012