For a renter arriving from overseas, with no SSN/ ITIN / US credit history yet, what documents does s/he need in order to rent an apartment in Boston?

Asked by Murphy Law, Boston, MA Wed Feb 20, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Heath Coker’s answer
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Every landlord will differ.
However, in order for them to hold the security deposit, a separate account will need to be set up, and that may require the bank to ask for some ID to report the interest to.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
1 vote
Mario Pavli, Agent, Boston, MA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Just your I-20 and a copy of the passport will do. Also bank statement from whoever will be paying for your apartment will need to show sufficient amount.

Best Of Luck.
2 votes
Sherri Way, Agent, Framingham, MA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
All landlrods are differnet in terms of what they will require. You may need proof that you are in the country legally (visa etc) and then some will require some sort of documentation that you have decent credit and pay your bills on time. For some, this might be a bank statement, for others, they may want to see a credit card bill.
1 vote
Samuel Rymer, Agent, Allston, MA
Mon Jul 7, 2014
It depends on what your traveling for and who the owner is. Students need an I-20 for the most part, but I've had ESL( English As a Second Language) students get approved just using their passport and and family funds documents. If you are coming to work in Boston from overseas, you will need a J-1 or another working Visa. The US has different agreements with many countries and depending on which visa you have could mean approval or rejection. If the owner is unfamiliar with the international relocation process, this is when having an experience and highly regarded real estate Broker comes in handy (hint hint). I specialize in assisting individuals relocating from abroad or just from another state.

Check out this link for for more information on Visa's…

Please call or email me for help with renting in the Allston/Brighton and Brookline areas.
617-775-3074 /
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more