Evil landlord won't fix anything.

Asked by Invest, Bellevue, WA Thu Feb 19, 2009

After I moved in, the landlord told me that the house was rented as is. I informed him that there was no such things. He misrepresented the house in many ways and the house has lots of problems. He told me to pay for the repair, live with it, or move out (I had a 1-year lease). It costs me some $8000 to move in. $5300 went to him. I have been documenting the problems through email. If I push or sue now, he would simply tell me to move. What else can I do to make sure that I am covered when I am ready to vacate ? And, if it is not stated in the lease explicitly, who is responsible for cleaning the gutters (which needs to be done once a month) ?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


James Hsu’s answer
James Hsu, Agent, Bothell, WA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Without knowing all the details, you are getting into some contract interpretation issues...like you feel the landlord misrepresented some stuff ... also not knowing what issues you're having can change things. .sorry no one can be of more help, but this is very much a legal dispute between you and the landlord and that necessitates a legal professional.

btw... gutters cleaned monthly? really? that seems excessive ...but I don't know where the house is or what's falling on the roof... maybe it does...
0 votes
Invest, Home Buyer, Bellevue, WA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Small Claims Court in WA maxes out at $4,000. I give this guy over $20,000 a year of my hard earned money. And he just raised rent. He bought the property at the height of the market, thinking that the tenant would fix up and clean up everything for him.
0 votes
Mark Despain, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
You might try the link below to get some legal advice. I am not an attorney but I am pretty sure that if needed repairs are not being done in a timely manner, i.e. leaks, furnace not working, etc. you can pay to get the repairs done and deduct it from the rent. But you should definitely get legal advice. Document everything: print the emails and keep them in a file. If you talk on the phone document everything he says to you, the date and time of the conversation. Be thorough because your remedy may end up in court and you want all the documentation that you can get.

If the landlord is that unreasonable or dishonest you will probably have to go to small claims court to get your deposits back.

Web Reference:  http://www.homehounds.com
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Confer with your tenant agent who represented you in the lease. Undetermined unless the entire contract is reviewed provide you options.

Contact an attorney, or state for tenant rights.

Sorry too hear all this YES most properties are leased as is unless specified in the lease agreement I own investment properties across the country. There are certain limits governed by lease who is responsible for repairs.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes
Bryan R. Lov…, , Lynnwood, WA
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Check this web site for a description of the Washington State, landlord tennant act.


After reading this you should have a better understanding of your rights as a tennant. To my understanding you can not even sign in a contract these rights away. For this situation, I strongly recommend consulting an attorney as well. I wouldn't make any remarks to the landlord about the situation without consulting an attorney first.

Hope this has helped.

Best Wishes,
Bryan Lovell
Web Reference:  http://www.homelantern.com
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 19, 2009

You do have rights as a renter. Our suggestion is to be in touch with an attorney to explore your options from that perspective.

Good luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more