Do tenants have any say on the outside colors that SF apartments are painted once they are already paying rent?

Asked by Trulia San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Fri Jan 11, 2013

Answers

6
Jeff Woo’s answer
Jeff Woo, Other Pro, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2013
You found one of the few rights not yet accorded to tenants in San Francisco. I suppose if you painted is a hideous color, a "reduction of services" claim could be made at the Rent Board, but I've never seen it.

Likely you are find choosing any remotely reasonable color you desire.
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Sat Jan 12, 2013
The answer to this question, like so many other questions about what can you do in a rental, is probably in your lease.
The typical language allows you to paint your space with the approval of the owner as long as it is able to returned to the condition it was when you took posession.
Painting the EXTERIOR of a building by a tenant would create so many problems that I can't think of an owner allowing it.
Maybe you can consult on the selection but color selection isn't a health or habitability issue and the right to reject living in an ugly building is covered under your right to move. It isn't one of the right granted to tenants, like possession and quiet enjoyment.
, ,
Mon Jan 14, 2013
If I understand this Q correctly, it seems like most posters didn't, or are joking in rely to Trulia's inane Q.
The answer is NO - tenants have no say in what color a landlord paints the outside of a building.
Tim Rohan, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2013
Common sense :
Your paying rent
You do not own the property
How ever IF you have a good relationship with the Owner maybe...
Most likely you don't
Because rent control has DESTROYED THAT RELATIONSHIP!
Gregory Karr, , San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2013
Absolutely! You can choose any color you would like. Check and see how much the materials and labor will cost to complete the job. Find out if a permit is required. Meet with three painting contractor's to solicit their bids. Review the painter's contract for its legality. Confer with the owner if he/she will agree with your color selection and allow the work to be done. Make sure the contractor is insured, bonded, and has worker's comp insurance. Supervise the job while it is in progress. And, pay for it or work out a deal with the owner. Nothing to it. Is the exterior currently painted purple or pink?
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 11, 2013
Since Jeff is a respected RE attorney I would look no further. And as a sidebar, we actually had neighboring tenants complain about the color we painted our lightwell (light brown, no stripes or polka dots), asserting that we should have consulted them first.

I told them it was not required and offered to change the color. He lost his enthusiasm for the change when I told him it would cost $300 and I wasn't going to pay for it.