Do I need a business license to rent rooms out of my house in Santa Clara, California 95050 zip code?

Asked by Kathleensheridan1, Santa Clara, CA Tue Feb 18, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Terrypace4440, Home Buyer, Santa Clara, CA
Sat Feb 27, 2016
I am currently renting shared rooms in the City of Fremont someone went to the City of Fremont and said that I had a boarding house it is not a boarding house. I rent rooms no more than six tenants at a time. Can the City of Fremont make stop renting rooms
0 votes
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Fri Feb 21, 2014
Some cities, especially in high target vacation and/or destination cities do require a license if you are doing seasonal renting or using your home as a B&B. But if you're just renting long term to another private party I wouldn't think you would need a license nor would it really be anyone's business.
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Wed Feb 19, 2014
Hi Kathleen, do not believe you need a business license; however, I would make a quick call to the City (document the conversation and with whom you spoke). You may have a number of "renting questions" as time progresses. I believe you will find the following document quite valuable as you move forward: -- Steve
0 votes
, ,
Wed Feb 19, 2014

Most cities do not require a business license, but you are required to show the income on your personal taxes, less expenses.

You can confirm Santa Clara's policy by going here:

Good luck to you!


Eric O. Nelson, III
Sr. Mortgage Planner
SVC Funding
NMLS # 120412
BRE# 01258488
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Rental Basics in Santa Clara Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more