Rental Basics in Tampa>Question Details

Cathy, Home Buyer in Florida

Culbreath Condo Association

Asked by Cathy, Florida Wed Jun 6, 2012

What to do with HOA, that one day they confirm you are on the waiting list, you can rent your unit out, then another day, they said you are NOT on their list? your unit not allowed to rent. Anyone know anything about RealManage, who is the management of Culbreath Condos? They seems can't keep their own records well, how to deal with them? Should I hire a lawyer?
Please help!

Lynn Brock’s answer
Cathy, some association restrict the % of units available for rent while others eliminate rentals completely. These decisions seem to be instituted by a small group of homeowners/board members that may mean well but in the long run restrict the use and enjoyment of other home owners. Sometimes the % of units that can be rented are on a short list that does not revolved and remains in the control of a few homeowners.

Changes to the association documents may have occurred at an annual meeting where you were not present, or they were in the association documents when you purchased the unit and did not realized the impact of these restrictions.

You can check with an attorney that handles condo association law and see if you have any rights to file a complaint. You will have to speak with the board of directors possibly through the management company.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc

If you'd like to search the MLS like an agent in real time, you can visit our website and sign up for a free Listing Book account. You will be able to change the search criteria to suit yourself and received morning reports regarding new listings, price changes and recent pendings.
I have had a few clients who have had issues with their homeowners associations. The only way they were able to get anything done was to go directly to the board of directors. They are the owners in the community that tell the management what to do. Find out who they are or when their next monthly meeting is and bring it before them. They may not know that the management company is making mistakes. The only way they will get any information is when other owners bring it to their attention. I would suggest bringing other owners with the same complaint with you.
Cathy, I think I had the possible tenant. I will call Autumn tomorrow and give her info on community. I just sold a unit last week and have another one closing next week, in that community.
I'm not sure if an attorney can help, but I will pass along info of a real estate attorney to her. I would think it would help if you had anything from RealManage in writing with rental approval.