Can you rent to somebody you know with section 8?

Asked by Trulia, 01854 Thu Jun 9, 2011

Answers

2
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Jun 9, 2011
I dont know of any rules that prohibit renting to people you know who receive sec 8 as long as the proeprty meets the quailifications of sec 8. Remember one of teh cardinal rules though, never do business with family and friends. Make sure you trust them if you are going to rent to them. Its not worth liosing a friendship
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu Jun 9, 2011
You can, as far as I know, but it may not be a good idea. The landlord/tenant relationship is a business relationship and renting to a friend could blur that line and lead to difficulties should you have any problems with the tenant. You could lose a friend, and there is no amount of money that can compensate one for the loss of a friend.

My advice is to mke sure you qualify the tenant as you would anyone else, get a background check including criminal history, eviction history and a credit report. Make sure they have enough income, combined with their Section 8 voucher, to afford the rental unit. And, if you do rent to them, inspect the rental unit regularly and insist that all the rules be followed strictly.