Rental Basics in Syracuse>Question Details

Tyrone Lyons, Renter in Syracuse, NY

Can my rent be raised while Im in my current lease?

Asked by Tyrone Lyons, Syracuse, NY Mon Nov 26, 2012

Signed a Lease at the begining of November2012, for a term of 1 year. Recieved a certified letter 10/26 stating that my rent will be raised effective 1/1/13.

Answers

5
Check with an attorney, but as far as I know, a lease is a contract for a service for an agreed time for an agreed price.
I would read your lease agreement. There has to be a clause about rent increases. Call the city, maybe zoning and maybe you can get free advice. Not sure. Seems a little strange since you just moved in.
Are you in a multi-complex as my initial guess is that it was an error. A lease is a lease and inclusive of all things written on it. It cannot be altered without the written consent of both parties. Look at your lease and see if there is a provision for a rent increase.

The most direct answer would be to just inquire with your landlord.
Your rent is what is written in your lease unless there is a paragraph with some sort of provision.

Do yourself a favor a read your lease very carefully...or reach out to an attorney to take a look at it.
*****Revised********
Signed a Lease at the begining of November2012, for a term of 1 year. Recieved a certified letter 11/26/12 stating that my rent will be raised effective 1/1/13