Can a landlord give notice to tenant to surrender premises with violations with the state for CO.?

Asked by Tammy Thompson, Linden, NJ Sun May 24, 2009

Answers

2
Victor Kamin…, Agent, Edison, NJ
Mon Jun 8, 2009
In addition to the answer below, I'd worry if the reason for the CO violation was caused by you or your guests.

Is this a single, 2-3 family or 4 family and above apartment building?
What are the issues for c/o violation?

Linden typically doesn't have a c/o inspection so I'm guessing this is a 4 family or above building where the state would issue a green card certificate.

I hope you didn't do some damage and report the landlord to get out of a lease, that would be a big no...no... but I'm seeing it more and more lately among tenants with no scruples or class if you get my drift.

If the building is in really bad shape the state can shut down the building and the landlord can be help responsible to cover your housing elsewhere. Generally the state will just fine the landlord and demand repairs be made within a period of time before a re-inspection.
William Leigh…, , New Jersey
Mon May 25, 2009
60 days notice: If you have a lease, I would say that the landlord would have to fix the premises for the period. If you are on a month to month, surely the landlord can terminate your tenancy. There may be legal issues which you will have to refer to an attorney. They would include the specific interpretation of the terms of the lease and any municipal laws regarding landlord-tenant relations but, as I remember it, generally, 60 days notice would cover the norm. I believe that in most cases it is a minimum of a full calendar month.

You might find that the health department will evict you, if they have a concern. If you have a lease, you might have an action against the landlord but it probably would not be worth fighting, as long as your security deposit was returned.

I'd start packing, if I were you.