Can I rent a house to tenant without getting a CO?

Asked by Pd5, 07024 Tue Jun 19, 2012

I have a two family house in Fort lee. My tenant on second fl lease will be terminate next month.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Harriet Lewis, Agent, closter, NJ
Thu Jun 21, 2012
The town of Fort Lee requires CCO's on rental properties whenever you have a change in the tenancy.This is one of the towns in which I specialize. So, I can help you with more information and in listing your rental. I am a very experienced real estate agent. Please contact me at any time. Thanks.

Harriet Lewis(201)467-5738 or click to send me an e-mail.
0 votes
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Warren, NJ
Wed Jun 20, 2012
Follow your town rules to a "t"...generally a CO is required each time there is turnover of a rental property...and/or sale.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
0 votes
Hyung Park, Agent, FORT LEE, NJ
Wed Jun 20, 2012
Has to get CCO-continuos certification of occupancy-it cost aplication abt $70-100
and Smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide-cost :Smke detector has to be by electric and back up by battery (abt $100-by licenced electrician)
0 votes
Ilja Bitkov, Agent, Fort Lee, NJ
Tue Jun 19, 2012
The Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Continuing Occupancy is a must have! First of all that's an obligation of the Landlord and secondly this may save you a lot of trouble in case of any emergency etc.

Please check out the link below and download the Application for Certificate of Continued Occupancy:…

(It will have all the necessary information and instructions in reference to Fort Lee, NJ)


ILJA BITKOV | Realtor e-Pro

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage | 2151 Lemoine Ave Ste 1. Fort Lee NJ 07024
Mobile 201.895.1218 | Fax 862.345.1385 | |
0 votes
Maria FORSBE…, Agent, FORT LEE, NJ
Tue Jun 19, 2012
It would be better if you got a CO, so in case anything comes up later you followed the procedure and did it, but many people take the risk and do not get one and end up having to provide one later on. Please contact your township and make sure what is needed for a new rental, some towns require one and if the tenant applies for parking permit they want a copy enclosed. Every town ship has its own procedure and as soon as the for rent sign goes up the inspectors may keep an eye on the application.
0 votes
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Jun 19, 2012
At the very least you need to have a fire inspection. You will need CO2 and fire detectors as well as a fire extinguisher. You should talk to the fire official, or check your local ordinance for the exact size and placement of these items as well as to learn whether they can be battery powered or if they have to be hard wired.
0 votes
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Tue Jun 19, 2012
Are you referring to a CO2 detector, or a Certificate of occupancy?
0 votes
Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Tue Jun 19, 2012
Not legally. The CO is to protect the tenant and make sure the proper smoke detectors, CO detectors and fire extinguishers are in place
0 votes
Pd5, Home Owner, 07024
Tue Jun 19, 2012
I'll be getting a new tenant.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more