Are you obligated to pay the broker fee when you find out that the agent has given you incorrect information about the apt?

Asked by Lyg106, Boston, MA Wed Aug 24, 2011

I've submitted all the paperwork and deposits for an apartment in boston, and was picking up my keys from the management company today when I found out that the apartment did not include parking even though the agent had promised it did when we agreed to rent the apartment. Am I still entitled to give him the full broker fee when he has misrepresented the apartment? How should he be held responsible for this?

Thanks!

Answers

5
Tean Wong, Agent, Boston, MA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
What was in the lease? Did it say there is a parking spot with the apartment. If so, then talk to the management and agent about it. I am sure, the issue is not about the fee, it is about the parking spot. Let's focus on that first.
Gloriamaria, , Arlington, MA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
Well from what you stated I think you should have been responsible when you signed the lease. Why didn't you "read" the lease? If you really feel that it's the broker's fault then I would advise you to seek legal counsel .
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
what does your contract say? you should consult an attorney.
Jeffrey Cart…, Agent, Beverly, MA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
Hello Lyg106,

Your first step is to talk with the Agents broker on record and try to work something out. You may have a case to withhold some money as "damages".

Jeff
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
what does your contract say? You should consult an attorney.