Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

Are regulated and unregulated apartments treated differently under the law if a tenant cannot live in an apartment because of storm damage?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Thu Nov 15, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Darryl, , New York, NY
Thu Nov 15, 2012
If the apartment is subject to rent stabilization, the tenants have rights under the Rent Stabilization laws. You should seek further information by visiting the office of the Division of Housing & Community Renewal (DHCR). That is the administrative state agency that deals with the regulations for all apartments subject to Rent Stabilization and Rent Control regulations.
If the apartment is considered "Unregulated", then you need to look at the terms and conditions of your lease. Conflicts that exist must be resolved in Housing Court, if you believe that you have a case. Owners of the property should have insurance to repair the property. If you have personal losses, then you - being the Tenant, should have had renters insurance. Your losses may or may not be covered under the owner's property insurance.
0 votes
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Thu Nov 15, 2012
It sounds like you've been impacted by Sandy. I'm sorry if that is the case. I would tell you to speak with a real estate Attorney as I'm sure there is more to this question than meets the eye. I certainly wish you all the best moving forward.
0 votes
Veronika Baba, Agent, NY,
Thu Nov 15, 2012
You should ask a lower. This is not a question for the real estate professionals. Personally I think not but that is only a opinion
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more