Rental Basics in Bushwick>Question Details

Trulia Brook…, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

Are landlords required to share if breaking and entering has been reported in one of their units?

Asked by Trulia Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY Wed Jan 30, 2013

George Capella’s answer
Landlords are not required to tell the prospective renter but if the renter asks the question then the owner must answer them truthfully. If you are dealing with an agent, if they know they must disclose it. Have a set of questions that you want answered before you sign the lease and present them to the owner. Some other questions you may want to ask is... Is this area known for flooding, what type of insurance am I required to have as a tenant, Do I HAVE TO PAY (HOA) Home Owners Association dues.... There are many others and you need to think what is important... Call me if you have any questions..(347) 362-6080... Good Luck George
I have been a landlord for years and never heard of this. Of course, I require all of my tenants to maintain not only insurance coverage for their belongings, but also general liability with my name added to the Certificate of INsurance.

So, the answer is probably going to be no. Unless of course you can prove they were negligent in some way that allowed a burglary.

Speak with an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
No they are not required to share this type of information. it is information you have to find on your own. If they home was broke into it was most likely a reason that that unit was picked and not others around it. They are only required to share if a person died there and some states state it's only if the new person asks if there was a death there. If landlords disclosed everything that happens in a unit they may never be able to rent it and it could ruin them finically....
I’m an agent working for ReMax NYC Midtown and I’m always doing my research on property and stay in touch with the best professionals. If you simply need advice please email me at I'm experienced with rentals & sales in NYC. I’ve provided links below regarding any concerns you may have.

Finance Advice:

Bank Expertise:

Appraisal Expertise:

Legal Advice:…

Advice for Buyers:

Advice for Sellers:

Tax Concerns: