Are any landlords that are willing to allow at least three pets for house rentals, two cats and one future to be home service dog?

Asked by Kristin Isibel, Colorado Springs, CO Wed Aug 1, 2012

Hello, I am on the hunt to find answers about finding a rental with pets. I have an unique situation where my boyfriend and I are looking for a house rental where a landlord is willing to allow three pets. We have two wonderful well behaved cats who are litter trained and very mellow. However, the unique situation is that we are considering to get a home service dog because we both are deaf and want a dog to help us to hear things for us (i.e. doorbells, any sounds that is alarming) A puppy is on the way in October and will have a trainer to come to our house to train our puppy. Are there anyone that I can contact with and finding help to find a rental that can allow this situaiton with pets? Any information would be very helpful! Our ideal house or townhome would be at least two bedrooms with one bathrooms within 700 to 900 per month rental that are close to i25 highway. We are hoping to move in by end of September or beginning of October. Thank you.
(I reposted this from June)

Answers

3
David Janis, Agent, Boulder, CO
Mon Aug 6, 2012
Sue is correct. The service dog will not 'count' towards the pet limit, however, you may have some trouble categorizing the dog as a service dog before he/ she is fully trained.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu Aug 2, 2012
Sue Bigus offers a very thorough response. I'll just add that you might have better luck with a house rental with an individual landlord.

Best of luck.
Suz
Sue Bigus, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Wed Aug 1, 2012
hi Kristen,
Under the Federal Fair Housing Act, persons with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal are a protected group. To be an individual protected under the Fair Housing Act; that person must have a disability as defined by the act; the service animal must have a direct function related to the individual’s disability and the request to have the service animal must be reasonable.

Landlords are required by law to accept a service dog under the provisions above, and from my understanding cannot charge a pet deposit for a service dog. So, what you are needing to look for is a landlord who will allow 2 cats. To find a rental home that allows cats, go to http://www.ppar.com anc click on the FOR RENT icon. Then select the field for pets and cats, your price range, etc. and see what comes up.

Good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy living in Colorado Springs!