Am I required to contact my landlord to sublease a room?

Asked by Jason Geiss, Telegraph Hill, San Francisco, CA Fri Mar 9, 2012

I'm looking to sublease a room in my two bedroom apartment, do I need to get approval from my landlord first?

Answers

3
Nancy Hom, , San Francisco, CA
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Look at your lease to see if you are allowed to or not. Even if it doesn't specify, I would ask your landlord if you can do it as a courtesy because they would want to know who is living there. Be sure to have an agreement in place with your leasees -- on deposits, move out cleaning, guests, etc. just as a landlord would. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where they do something that puts you as the master tenant in jeopardy of your lease.
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Fri Mar 9, 2012
Under just about every standard lease I've ever seen the landlord retinas the right to screen and approve or disapprove of any tenant sub or not.

If yoir lease expired it probably had a clause that says the terms of the lease continue except that it is month-to-month. Again the landlord retains the right to screen tenants.

If you don't follow the terms you can be evicted. This is one of the 14 just cause reasons.
Michael Yaco…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Mar 9, 2012
It's usually stated in the lease whether or not you can sublease and if notice has to be given to the landlord.
Web Reference:  http://StellaAndMike.com