We are thinking about buying in taberna, but will only be stationed at cherry point for 3 years. Is this a wise decision or would u suggest we rent?

Asked by Leslie5275, New Bern Mon Apr 9, 2012

Answers

4
Patricia Rich’s answer
Patricia Rich, Agent, New Bern, NC
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Dear Leslie,
There are many things to consider when buying a house for short term (3 years). The interest rates are very low and a very good time to buy. However, if you plan to sell in three years, this may not be a good move. We have many military families that are up-side-down with houses in the area. They have been transferred to other bases, and their house is still on the market here in the New Bern/Havelock area. We have hundreds of houses that have been on the market for a year or more. What will be market be in three years? Who knows? There may be an increase in value, but maybe not enough to pay the selling expenses. I suggest that you talk with some military families and get their views. If I can help you, please give me a call.

Pat Rich
Broker/Realtor®
252-671-2492
Barry D. Eva…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Tue Apr 10, 2012
If you think the President is going to be reelected, Rent. Otherwise you have the lowest interest rates ever, New Bern and Havelock have lost value for 4 years, great time to buy if you buy right. I have lived in this area for over 20 years and know it very well. I am a Accredited Buyers Representative My phone number is 252-259-5076. Have a great day. Thanks
Christina Ab…, Agent, New Bern, NC
Tue Apr 10, 2012
I live near both Carolina Colours and Taberna. Taberna is a better choice as far as price. I am a Millitary Relocation Specialist and would be glad to talk with you further about the rent verses buy question. Please call me at 252-639-2202 to discuss this and other issues involved.
Christina Ward
Margie Casey, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Dear Leslie,

Interesting question. Some of the advantages of home ownership is appreciation and lower taxes. Most agree, the real estate market is near the bottom or has actually made the turn up. To me, it makes sense to buy to because the interests are so low, gain some tax deductions to pay less taxes and hope for an increase in equity from appreciation. None of these benefits apply to rentals.

Did you consider Carolina Colours too? We wrote real estate reviews about both Taberna Country Club and Carolina Colours on our website. Let us know if you'd like more info.

http://realestatescorecard.com/community-reviews-rankings/ca…

Warmly,
Margie Casey
Founder