I am selling my house,its too big for me to keep up since my husband passed a year ago,and I am disabled.

Asked by Gailchartier59, Kissimmee, FL Sat Aug 12, 2017

So my question is I cannot decide if I want to buy another house,with all the responsibilties,I have no children or family,so who would I leave it to?Or should I rent a house?I do have 2 very spoiled dogs.Its just scary out there not knowing who to trust,and where to go.I been in my house for 29 years.I would love some good,honest advice,please

Answers

3
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Yesterday at 9:01am
If the home no longer suits you, it may be the time to sell. Moving to an adult community can give you your own home but low to no maintenance depending. There will also be new people around to meet who may also face what you face. As far as trusting, if you would like me to look in my referral network i can find an agent in your area who can help you sell and buy a new home. Feel free to message me.
Kathy Burgre…, Home Owner, Westchester, NY
Mon Aug 21, 2017
If you are disabled and no children living at home, then you need to find a home that meets your needs. I would recommend senior communities, condos, etc. where you don't need to worry about home maintenance, there are amenities on site for you to enjoy and there is an HOA to take care of the outside.

If you choose to rent, you are subject to rent increases and there is no guarantee a landlord will care for the building the same way you cared for your home.

What you need to be aware of is realtors. Remember, they work on commission and get paid only when a home sells or a buyer purchases a home. Therefore, the quicker the process, the easier it is for them. This means realtors will push for price reductions quickly if they are not getting offers from buyers. If you intend to sell, you need to interview several realtors and see what they intend to do to sell your home. Never go for the agent that will "guarantee" they can sell your home for the highest price. These agents "buy" the listing. It means they convince you to list with them, then a month later, they ask you to drop the price a lot. Use the agents who come in the middle. Also make sure they have the money to pay for the marketing they promise you. Marketing a home for sale is not free. Realtors pay for it up front, then they get reimbursed when you pay them their commission.

Finally, if you intend to sell and have pets. You will need to have your home thoroughly cleaned. Pets do have an odor even if you're not aware of it. This turns off buyers. You need to think what you will do with your dogs while buyers need to visit your home.
Jmerk0961, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Aug 21, 2017
I would sell and buy a unit in an adult community. I am in Atlanta so I am not sure what the environment would be like in Florida but I believe you can find an adult community and enjoy yourself.
Katherine
Katherine Brown Mitchell Realty