resale value of adding a garage to a bungalow

Asked by Ron, 77098 Sat Jun 9, 2012

I have a craftsman-type brick bungalow in Winlow Place with very tight driveway access (8.25-8.5 ft wide) between house and wood fence. I currently have an ugly detached carport and need a new driveway. I
would like a garage but not sure it makes sense.

Answers

4
Mark McNitt’s answer
Mark McNitt, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Jun 9, 2012
Ron,

Adding a garage will add value as many buyers (and their Realtors) only look for properties with atleast a one car garage. If you could add a room above it, that would also help maximize your space. Also extend the side roof a bit for a possible covered patio.

It would likely be detached. Try not to take up too much of your backyard. Drive around the community and see if there are other similiar homes with garages. This might give you some ideas.

Good luck! Remember to get min 3 bids!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
Barbara Coker, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, San Antonio, TX
Sat Jun 9, 2012
A garage would likely add value to your appraisal, but how much would depend on how common it is in your neighborhood. If you are looking to sell in a short period of time, a dollar-for-dollar recoup might not be reasonable to expect.

Barbara Coker
NMLS#228545
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
100% Home Loans All Over Texas
Web Reference:  http://www.thecokerteam.com
Jeff Cox, Agent, Houston, TX
Sat Jun 9, 2012
Hello Ron,

I believe adding a garage to your home will add value. Many buyers will not look at homes without a garage or they will believe it will cost substantially more to build than it does which will lower an offer to you. Even if your buyer does not use it for their cars they will still want storage space for bikes, lawn equipment, patio items and storage of stuff. Consider adding windows or french doors on the yard side of the garage so that the garage can serve more than one use. It could be used as additional outdoor entertaining space. The next owner might want to add more electricity for a room a/c and sheetrock for a workshop or home office. In the mean time you will probably get a lot of use from the garage.
Michael Roddy, , Houston, TX
Sat Jun 9, 2012
Hi Ron,

Most of the homes, the older homes included, in your area have garages. My personal opinion is, if you are looking at a new driveway, a garage will add value to your property and is certainly a plus if you put the property on the market as most buyers prefer a garage. It sounds like this will be a detached garage at the rear of the property. You can go with a minimal garage, meaning slab, structure and roof, however, it does not need to be finished out on the inside (meaning you can see the support studs - no sheetrock and paint). In my limited experience with the cost of adding a garage, I understand a ballpark figure should be between $15,000 to $28,000 for a basic two car garage. It will benefit you to contact several contractors and get quotes so you can make an informed choice on price, the basics of a simple two car garage (permits, set-backs from property lines, height of door for today's SUV's etc). And, you can get some idea of who you may like to have do the work after interviewing several contractors. It is always a good idea to check with the Better Business Bureau to investigate if there are any complaints against any company you decide to use prior to signing any agreement with them. You should check as well to make sure the company is insured and uses their own employees so you have some protection should an accident occur.

Please remember, this is my personal opinion and you are sure to get several different opinions in this forum.
Hopefully this information helps you to get started in the process and if you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Michael Roddy, REALTOR
832-204-1377 direct to desk