required steps before during after remodel/reconstruction to file for a new C of O

Asked by Taylor, 85013 Sun Jan 10, 2010

We are planning on buying a house in 85013 zip code in which we wish to convert a double garage into a single garage and construct enclosed studio space in the other half of the garage. We also do not want to hire a contractor but wish to be sub contract out the construction ourselves. What must we do from A-Z in terms of zoning, permits, codes, inspections etc. to make the changes and eventually obtain an upgraded Certificate of Occupancy when the construction is complete?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ted Canto’s answer
Ted Canto, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Jan 10, 2010
You have 2 solid answers below. I would add that whatever you do, MAKE SURE, you have duct into the space and put a window in or 2 sources of exit/ entry. This will allow for an appraiser to give you value for that room. I've seen it happen way too much when people do it wrong and they kill the square footage/ value in their home.
0 votes
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Jan 10, 2010
Dear Taylor:

Hi, here is the City of Phoenix site for all of the information you need to get your permits. You will need approvals on the permits for the various stages pre construction and during construction. Click:

You can go down to the offices to present your drawings and obtain the permit to get started.

If I can help you find a home or make an offer on one, just ask. Take care.

Regards, Jeff

Jeff Masich, Realtor®
Arizona Homes and Land
HomeSmart Real Estate
Web Reference:
0 votes
Carlos Ramir…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Sun Jan 10, 2010
Below is a link to their Residential Building Permits site. You can contact them for further details.

Carlos J. Ramirez, PC, ABR, CNE
Associate Broker/Realtor, HomeSmart -
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more