203k final inspection: does trim need to be painted?

Asked by Meghan, 20724 Mon Apr 19, 2010

We did a Streamline 203k loan and we sent in for our final inspection so we can get our final dispersement, thinking it would be 5-10 business days before the inspection was scheduled. Well, the inspector called 2 business days later! We have everything done except the trim around the windows isn't painted yet. Does that need to be done before he comes out? My boyfriend thinks it's so minor it won't be a problem, but I think HUD is picky and we should have it finished.

Answers

8
, ,
Mon Apr 19, 2010
Meghan.....Take a look at the contractor's cost estimate and itemization that was presented to your loan officer. Anything that was included in that list will need to be completed for the final inspection. If painting the trim was included, then, yes, it will have to be finished.
Brandon Clapp, , 80212
Thu Jun 3, 2010
If its one the scope then yes.
, ,
Sat May 1, 2010
Meghan,

I agree with Sam Thompson, however, there are a few other questions that need to asked to determine the EXACT answer.

Did you have a consultant do a "Scope of Work" or did you use a Contractor's estimate? If you did a scope of work, THAT would be the document that would dictate what needed to be finished, as far as the lender is concerned. Whatever work was listed, MUST be completed (minus various other exceptions, changes, etc...).

Did you do a Self-Help Loan and apply to do the work Yourself? If so, you would have supplied that you have the ability and history of general contracting/construction in your background. If/when this is the case, I have found inspectors to be more stringent on their finals... call it flexing muscle, whatever. It is a trend that unfortunately seems to be happening. If so, I would just advise painting things.

Further, if ANYWHERE on your write-up it said something like... "Scrape/Paint all chipping/Peeling Paint".. its kind of a catch-all, that may gig you.

Lastly... HUD REQUIRES all chipping/peeling paint to be rectified, HOWEVER, it does not REQUIRE all trim to be painted... SO... If its not painted, there is nothing that says it has to be!

Brent Kluge :)
Paul Welden, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Apr 29, 2010
HI Meghan,

Which contractor(s) did you use for your FHA 203(k) Streamline?
Meghan, Home Buyer, 20724
Tue Apr 20, 2010
Thank you for the responses! I chose Sam's as best answer because his most fit our situation - I wasn't entirely clear on what I was asking. There is no peeling paint, this is the cosmetic trim on the inside of the windows that we had put in when the windows were replaced. They are just factory white with nail holes in them at the moment. After I posted this I was able to talk to the inspector and he said the same thing Sam did "it's not on the list, so it doesn't matter."

Thanks again for the quick responses!
Alan K, , Westminster, MD
Mon Apr 19, 2010
Paint the trim! You must please the inspector.
Pat & Steve…, Agent, Westlake, OH
Mon Apr 19, 2010
Meghan:

FHA loans will not allow peeling paint for homes built before 1978, so the same goes with the 203k loans.
Elizabeth Mo…, , 21042
Mon Apr 19, 2010
I am an FHA appraiser as well as a Realtor. Yes you do. If your home was built prior to 1978, you must not have chipping paint. If your appraisal states that this is a needed repair, this must be done. You don't want the appraiser/inspector to arrive and reject your repairs. It will cost you more. They will charge a trip fee for the extra trip. This could range from $100 to $150. Get it done!