how would an outdoor Endless Pool affect the value of a house in san francisco?

Asked by 2 Kitties, San Francisco, CA Sat Feb 11, 2012

There are 361 single family residences listed in San Francisco on Trulia. Only 4 have pools. Of those, two are indoor regular pool, one is outdoor regular pool and one in indoor Endless Pool. We just installed an outdoor Endless Pool and I would like to get an idea of the effect on the value of our house. I have read that pools can detract from value, or add value but less than the cost of installing the pool. Thanks.

Answers

5
Oggi Kashi’s answer
Oggi Kashi, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
If you seek a dependable answer, it needs to provide after viewing the property. Any answer regarding value in this forum is going to be general at best.

If this is in regard to selling your home in the near future, keep in mind pools bring more value to a property when the weather is warmer/nicer and not as much when it's colder. If it's heated, then that changes the equation. Heating costs and eco friendly heating systems become an issue as well.

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference:  http://www.oggikashi.com
Michael Yaco…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
Interesting question, but I feel the fact that only a handful of homes in San Francisco have pools is an indication of the demand for pools. If your looking to get the best ROI I would suggest investing the money elsewhere; perhaps the kitchen or one of your bathrooms. We have connections to many interior designers in the city if your looking for ideas. Hope this helps.
Web Reference:  http://www.StellaAndMike.com
Gabrielle Da…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
The answer to your question depends on several factors and on finding a buyer who appreciates the pool. There are a number of reasons why pools are rare in San Francisco. Most of the existing SFR pools belong to upscale properties that have plenty of space and can make the design work. Feel free to call me a 415-200-7202 for more feedback and if you'd like me to take a look at your property for a professional opinion.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
This is a very interesting question for the very reason you mentioned - pools are unusual in San Francisco. Generally speaking a pool can add or detract value dependent upon class of property/price point, spatial relationship to the property, and design.

I would be happy to come take a look and give you my opinion.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Jed Lane, Agent, Petaluma, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
In reality the pool adds value to a buyer that wants a pool. It does detract value to buyers with little kids and people who don't see the benefit or don't want the maintenance costs.
There are really very few homes in San Francisco with pools partly because of the weather and the fact that historically we've had public pools to use along with the ocean and bay to play in on the rare hot days. We also could drive to the Russina River, Stinson Beach, Tahoe etc. for water fun.
If it's important to you then enjoy it, but I wouldn't advise putting one in for a step up in equity.