how much value does upgrading a 1/2 bath to a full bath add?

Asked by sarahhamill, Arlington, VA Fri Mar 29, 2013

My zip code 22202, and it is a 2 level Condo, 2 bedroom, with 1.5 existing bathrooms.

If I convert the half bath to a full, how much value would I be adding? (I am not looking for a dollar amount, I am looking for a % of home value increase, if any)

Thank you!

Answers

4
Gary Hughes, Agent, Arlington, VA
Fri Mar 29, 2013
Try checking the cost vs value report at http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2013/costvsvalue/division/south…
It may make your property more desirable but do not expect to fully recover your investment.
Tricia Hines, , Arlington, VA
Fri Mar 29, 2013
I just saw that my profile came up as "Home Buyer, Pittsburgh, PA"! I am a Realtor for American Realty Group and have lived in Arlington for about 30 years! The picture of me, and my late pooch is correct.
Tricia Hines, , Arlington, VA
Fri Mar 29, 2013
Hi Sarah. I live in the 22202 zip too. (actually, been in 22206 for past 9 months, but moving back to 22202 this Summer) I love the neighborhood.

If making the 1/2 bath into a full bath will be on the main level of the home then the increased value won't be the only benefit. You'll also open the house up to many people (eg. potential buyers) who will only consider houses with a main level bathroom. As someone who has had multiple ankle surgeries, I know how important a main level bathroom is. Also, I have had many clients who want a main level full bathroom so that when their elderly parent visits / moves in they'll have easy access.

In short, if you're planning on selling at some point in the near future, making sure you have a full bathroom on the main level - and preferably some room that can be used as a bedroom - will open up your unit in a way that make other units completely unacceptable.
Garnet Robin…, Agent, Arlington, VA
Fri Mar 29, 2013
Generally speaking this would increase the value of your home $5-10K (Can't give you a % without the value of your home.).

Aside from making your home more liveable it would make your home stand-out from the competition when you go to sell/rent down the road. People are less and less willing to share a bath than they once were so they value having separate facilities whether they are renting or looking to buy.

If investing in a new bath upgrade steer clear of very personal color or style choices if you are planning on selling in the near future. Buyers are always excited about new kitchens and baths but trends change quickly and you want to appeal to broadest taste possible.

In planning your renovation, don't forget to check with the condominium association about their requirements so you don't experience unnnecessary frustration or expense.

Good luck and have fun!!

Garnet
Thank you! The value of the condo is roughly $435,000-$450,000. Does this help at all? 5-10K is lower than I have seen reported in the NAHB study and the 2013 remodeling cost to value report...
Flag Fri Mar 29, 2013