how much to finish a basement?

Asked by Riverdog, 61265 Sun May 6, 2012

Answers

6
Jason, Home Owner, Virginia
Tue May 14, 2013
If you hire a contractor it can run between 20 and 30k for an average sized basement (say 1000 sq. ft) and average finishes. If you do it yourself you can do it for under 10k or less if you get creative. I did mine 1800 sq. ft. basement for 12,500 in under a year on the weekends. Check out the website below, it's got some cool articles about doing it yourself. It's not for everyone but it was great for me.
Tim Babeu, Home Buyer, Moline, IL
Thu Jul 4, 2013
we're looking for a house, and there's too many houses with finished basements. Do it if you like, but don't put drywall and paneling on outside walls...can't see the foundation. I won't even look at a house with a finished basement.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue May 14, 2013
Almost exactly one year ago;
is he still looking?
Adam Ahrens, Home Owner, Rock Island, IL
Wed Aug 22, 2012
i spent around $4000 no bath or bedroom i did most work my self contractor wanted around $9000, its drywall, insulated, carpeted, knock down ceiling and about 340sq ft.
Keith & Kins…, Agent, Verona, WI
Sun May 6, 2012
This entirely depends on what you want to do to the basement, and how much work you plan to do yourself. Studs and drywall are pretty cheap, but if you get into adding bathrooms, bedrooms, a wet bar, etc, the numbers can add up fast.
Hart Bondi, Agent, Bettendorf, IA
Sun May 6, 2012
That is a tough question as it depends on the contractor. Figure roughly $3000 for a 3/4 bath, then if there needs to be an engress window put in that is around $2000. Now for a guestimate you can use $30/square foot as a guide. Each contractor will have thier own prices. If dealing with a contractor besure you get specifications to go along with the price. AND, get a anthuroized alternation form with a price for every change you do to the origianl proposal.