Betty Miller, Home Owner in Pittsburgh, PA

how can I get my plot plan?

Asked by Betty Miller, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Oct 3, 2011

I'm told I am in violation of the Pittsburgh zoning ordinance, section 922.02A

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Erica Ramus,…, Agent, Pottsville, PA
Sat Oct 15, 2011
Did you have a survey when you bought the property?
You might need to have one done...
0 votes
Jannis Vann, , 30188
Sat Oct 15, 2011
Check with your county records department. Any survey would be on file there. Worst case scenario, you only have a legal description and will need to hire a surveyor to plot the information into a plan you can use.
0 votes
Andy@acg, , Warrendale, PA
Mon Oct 3, 2011
Like almost anything else, the answer is "it depends". Not all properties are in a subdivision plan. If your property is, it should be described on the deed as something like "All that certain piece of ground situate in the City of Pittsburgh, County of Allegheny and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, being Lot [X] in the [name of plan] as recorded at the Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds office at Plan Book Volume [Y], page [Z]."

If instead, the deed describes the property by using metes and bounds (vectors described as degrees from north and south to east and west and distances typically measured in feet), then you may not be in a plan. It is also possible in the City of Pittsburgh that you are in a plan but your particular parcel is not exactly according to the lots as drawn on the plan (part of a single lot or perhaps a whole lot and a part of a second lot).

Unfortunately, in either case, the plan or the metes and bounds description are typically only going to show the boundaries of the land and won't show where the house or any other structures on the property are located relative to the boundaries. You may have to contact a surveyor for that information. Before you do, however, I'd suggest going back to the real estate agent that helped you purchase the property and see if there was a survey from the previous owner that might be available.

Also, don't waste your time with the assessment office. They only have tax maps which are not suited for your purpose.
0 votes
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Mon Oct 3, 2011
Betty, You might find a copy at the Assessor's office or hire a surveyor to do a survey of your property. Also, if you have the paperwork from your closing and know the attorney who did the closing, they may have a copy in your file.

Good luck.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more