do i need to pull a permit to move entry door where a full window is now and cancel out existing entry?

Asked by Timbo, San Diego, CA Tue Sep 15, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


David, , La Jolla, CA
Thu Jan 14, 2010
Great answers here! I believe if the cost of remodel is over $500, a permit is always required.
0 votes
Gary, , San Diego County, CA
Sun Sep 20, 2009
Joe is absolutely correct. A permit is required when you are invading the structural integrity of the house. Check with the Building Department of the jurisdiction in which you live. That may be the County; or, it may be an individual city. Each jurisdiction will have its own standards for you to satisfy.
Remember, the permit; and, the inspections by the Building Official, are intended to protect you and your family.
0 votes
Joe Nernberg, , Calabasas, CA
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Yes, you need a permit. There are a few things the municipal building inspector wants to know. Is the wall opening properly framed to support a door? How will flashing be addressed (water intrusion concern)? Is there an adequate landing beneath the door? The swing of the new door may require tempered glass at adjacent windows. Take some photos of your existing situation and present them to the local building department. Most of these officials are very helpful and flattered you would ask their opinion.
0 votes
Jeffrey Doug…, , San Diego, CA
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Timbo, your question does not say if you live in San Diego County or a city in San Diego. Depending on that answer I would check with the local County of City Planning and Permit Department to get you questioned answered. You can usually go into to the desk and get your questioned answered pretty quickly.

My guess is it would probably require a permit and you would want that so that if you sold the property in the future you could disclose the work was done with a permit. Plus permits are for a reason, to make sure that the job in done in a safe manner.
0 votes
John Anthony…, , Redding, CA
Tue Sep 15, 2009
Whenever you're doing work on your home, it's a safe bet to check with the people at the City Building & Planning Department, and they'll point you in the right direction. You might get a million responses on this, from different folks saying yes or no.
My advice? Don't listen to them.
Save yourself the headace (and potential problems with building inspectors, not fun once they start throwing citations around), and hear it directly from the horses mouth.
Better safe than sorry.
John Anthony
Team Leader, 24/7 Real Estate
#1 in Sales Volume, 2006-2007,2008
"Who is John Galt?"
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more