building an addition onto a home.

Asked by Bubby226, 60123 Mon Sep 12, 2011

Im looking to buy a two bedroom home if it was possible to add to the back of the house and create two smaller sized bedrooms and possibly a bathroom too what value would it add to the home?

Answers

4
KK Yan, Agent, Streamwood, IL
Thu Jan 12, 2012
In my subjective opinion, most of the time, you won't get your money back by building an addition like that.
Unless the land in your area are very unique and limited. Re. cost and value. You may want to check the National Association of Home Builders website. there are a lot of remodeling info. Very important, you may want to check the zoning by law to see what you can build in a property before making any offer.

K.K. Yan
REALTOR GREEN
Web Reference:  http://kkyan.com
Jannis Vann, , 30188
Sat Oct 15, 2011
If the house is a great buy and in the area you want to live, taking on the remodel makes sense. Just don't over-price it for your current neighborhood. With this taken into consideration, my suggestion would be to add a 3rd bedroom and bath, making it the new master suite. If there is a possibility to increase the main living area with the addition, I'd do it. Keep things as open as possible. This will make the small spaces feel larger. Consider contacting a designer/architect to review the house with you so you can utilize the new space/existing space to it's best advantage. Just adding more rooms, might not give you the best value for your money.
Bubby226, , 60123
Tue Sep 13, 2011
The home is just one we would consider. Although I wouldnt mind taking on the project I wanted to know the value it would add if later in the future we decided to make the two bedroom home a three bedroom and made the living area bigger as well what the value could possibly increase to? If I were to make a big investment in something as that I would like to know the average return rate?
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
If you haven't bought it yet;
Why don't you buy the correct house?
Unless you just want to have a remodeling PROJECT.

You would have to go down to the County Planning/Building to find out if you can do the add-on:
Please don't try to do it without PERMITS.

Good luck and may God bless