Mmuller, Home Seller in Rye Brook, NY

best color for a shingled older house with white trim

Asked by Mmuller, Rye Brook, NY Thu May 21, 2009

our parents' house is a dark grey with white trim-alum trim and vinyl windows which will remain white. It needs a fresh look for curb appeal as it will go on the market
We have had several people say a pale yellow. But sister wants a lighter grey. The neighbors already have: light grey, greyish taupe, beige, white and we don't want to match anyone but we want to blend in and still stand out

Opinions?

Answers

8
Hey all. I am the homeseller. We resolved this months ago. I will tell you that we went with a very pale yellow, Ben Moore, color, which blended much better with the neighboring houses, very close together. That really was the issue. Very tight. Had to keep from standing out. The yellow is almost a cream, so it is cheerful, but not a fifties yellow. My choice would have been to go sage. Sister said no. We wanted something in warm tone. And blue would have been jarring. Also light grey was ok, the house used to be that color years back, but we all wanted a change and the taupe/grey was already taken across the street, as were grey, cream, and white. So given the location, in a very dense nrighborhood, that's what we did. I think all comments were most helpful. When there is ample green space to separate structures it is a whole different story.

I am an artist and painter, with design background, so I see this from my side. I also agree that whenever possible go neutral. We have a great realtor. The house shows very well!
Web Reference: http://marilynmuller.com
Color is always a tricky thing so the best advice I can give you is to be "neutral" such as white or light beige. I am suggesting this especially since your home will be going on the market and the last thing people want to do is have to start painting the outside or even the inside for that matter. Neurtral may be boring to you but buyers in general prefer the neutral tones with a contrasting trim. Light yellow could be o.k. as long as it is very light yellow otherwise people think it is so "fifties".
Good luck with it and if I can help please let me know.

Jackie
OK folks. I do appreciate all the suggestions. In the end, we have chosen one step lighter than the Pottery Barn promoted historical color-HC4-- we are going with HC5. It is a very pale and creamy yellow. We will
keep the trim white. Now we need to choose a color(s) for foundation if contrast, shutters, and front steps to anchor the front entry. The guys are out there right now finishing the priming. We had to consider the roof of course and also the surrounding houses- very close together. I think it will work.

Thanks all. Over and out.

Marilyn in Rye Brook
The color of your roof will have a big impact on the color of the house. Assuming the roof doesn't clash, I am a big fan of a light to medium sage or mossy green (like Andrea). It think it makes a house look fresh and alive. I sounds like that would blend with your neighborhood yet still be different enough so it doesn't look exactly the same.
Within 15 seconds the buyers has developed an opinion of the property. Your best bet is to keep the colors neutral and light. White, beige and gray are the most popular exterior colors.
I think trying maybe a pale sage green would work with your neighborhood makeup. What color is your roof? That could also play an important part in your decision.
I agree that pale yellow is not my favorite. If there are already several homes with light grey then you may want to go a darker shade of beige or tan. That color looks really good with white trim. Good luck!
The yellow sounds a little off to me . How about a dusty medium blue. The dusty hue will blend with other colors on house next door, but the blue will stand out.
I agree, yellow is old hat! Today grays are in, and vibrant color accents if your going to be bold! Big trend now is medium blue siding. The white trim explodes, and black shutters make for a classic look for an older home, assuming its of colonial style. Thats my 2 cents. Chance are the yellow paint has dried by now! Boring
Flag Sat Nov 23, 2013