anyone know about converting a 2 story business bldg into a residence with a business office in downtn/chinatwn Oakland, CA?

Asked by Srwynne, Oakland, CA Wed Apr 4, 2012

we're thinking upstairs (former printing business) would be bedrooms / living rm, downstrs wd be kitch (former restaurant kitch) & dining rm, with the separate business office & waiting area. Would commercial zoning allow conversion to residential/business? thanks!

Answers

3
Ellen Lynch, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Wed Apr 4, 2012
Hi Srwynne, I would not spend any time doing anything on this without talking directly to a person in the City of Oakland Zoning Dept. They are Ground Zero for you! Everything has to do with zoning and the general plan (which has recently been reviewed, as it is every ten years). Realtor's and other's opinions about what is or is not allowable is not going to help you much. I would not advise looking online at the city maps as some of them are outdated and they only give you general zoning info. You needs specifics about your particular property and proposed project, and you'll get the answers you need from zoning.. and they will help you figure out what to do next, if your plan is feasable or not. If I were you I would just go down there with the info you have and show the zoning person the property address and your proposal and ideas. 250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, second floor. 510-238-3440 Check the hours and make sure they aren't closed for one of their furlough days! Good luck!
Okay, thank you all for your quick responses! I'm hoping my realtor can get us in to see the property this weekend to see if it holds the potential we're seeking, then, if we love it, and the idea of this conversion still, we'll definitely go to zoning asap. thanks again!
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012
Larry Benede…, , Oakland, CA
Wed Apr 4, 2012
oakland zoning would be the place to start.
Antoine Pirs…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Wed Apr 4, 2012
The only ones that can answer that question is the zoning department on 250 Ogawa plaza. Good luck.
Antoine
Thanks Antoine. Yes, I know I would need to talk to and confirm with Zoning before moving on this at all, but was just wondering if anyone had ever done this kind of conversion before, or been rejected for trying. Thank you!
Flag Wed Apr 4, 2012