Will adding ducted HVAC to a 2000SF finished workshop/RV garage add value as livable space under roof?

Asked by Steve, 85331 Sat Nov 8, 2008

Cave Creek, AZ, one acre lot, main house 2800SF 3br/3ba with attached large 3 car garage. The RV garage/workshop is detached, 2000sf with it's own full bath and laundry, completely finished, evap cooled. Right now being used for a game room, workshop, parking a boat, etc. and from the exterior looks like a second house with it's own patio overlooking the pool area. Appraisals and property tax descriptions do include the full bath in this space as a 4th bathroom, but do not include a SF as livable space (under roof), so my question; would the addition of a properly sized, ducted HVAC system make the space livable, at least for appraisal value?

Answers

5
Tonje Kearney, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Nov 8, 2008
Steve,

I am actually a contractor as well as a Realtor, and in Maricopa County which is the municipality you most likely belong to being on an acre lot in Cave Creek, you would have to get a permit to remove the garage doors and enclose it into a casita to make it livable space. The casita would also have to be brought up to living standard codes, as ex. the electrical is most likely done to accomodate a garage and not living space. Another issue you may run into is septic if you are on one. Does the bathroom have a separate septic or is it tied into the septic of the house. If it is, does it still meet the max load? From an appraisers standpoint he would want to see the casita enclosed and brought up to living standards, he may not look too much into if the rest of the building is to current code, but it has to like Stew said, look like a house not a garage.
Web Reference:  http://www.TeamKearney.com
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Nov 8, 2008
No Problemo Steve,

If you need my help you know where to reach me :-)

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Stew
Cliff Collip…, Agent,
Sat Nov 8, 2008
I would add to Stew's response that it may also depend on your local building codes and building and safety department, which may require a permit for the garage to be considered living space. As Stew pointed out it most like would reguiire removal of the garage doors and having the openings framed and finished.
Web Reference:  http://bhccliff.com
Steve, , 85331
Sat Nov 8, 2008
Thanks Stew,

To clarify: the street view looks like a garage (same territorial design as a the main house), the yard view likes like a guest house. Would not take much to make an "in law" quarters / guest house. But your probably right, I should talk to an appraiser during an on site visit.

Thank you for your honest answer.
Stew Keene, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sat Nov 8, 2008
Steve,

So many different "opinions" are likely to pop up here, but here's my 2 cents...
(remember the Realtors are Realtors, not appraisers)

If you are using it for a garage, NO.

It would have to be an enclosed building like a casita or guest quarters. No garage door.

To make this simple, since it is separated from the home, it has to be almost it's own home, not a garage style building.

So, if it looks like a Duck, Walks Like a Duck.... You get the picture.

Does that make sense?

Hope this helps you. I have 2 appraisers I work with that I can provide you contact information for that you can speak to regarding this if you are interested. They are local and highly experienced and would probably be the best resource for you to conform this information.

I'm always here to help.

Stew

Stew Keene
Ph (480) 220-7491
Fax (866) 711 8573
StewKeene@yahoo.com
Keller Williams - Scottsdale, AZ
2008-2009 Master of Real Estate award recipient
ABR, GRI, ePro, CNE, MRE, AHWD
Web Reference:  http://www.stewkeene.com