Will I need a permit to replace a tanked water heater with a tankless in the attic?

Asked by Millie, 38109 Sat Apr 2, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Kobi Costa, Agent, Encino, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
You should contact your city for this information.
Web Reference:  http://kobicosta.com
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Apr 2, 2011
When in doubt contact the city or the plumber who is installing the heater they would know

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Anthony Perez, Agent, Northridge, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
I'm a 21 year retired contractor

You'll need to obtain what is called an express permit.

I can also give you some additional information about the transition.

Certified Green and Title 24 energy consultant.

Call me 818 445-6918 Anthony
Web Reference:  http://CAcertified.com
0 votes
Laura Coffey, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Your local city codes will most likely tell you yes. Basically you need a permit to change out toilets in most areas. Obviously most people don't get a permit for every little thing. They then have to weigh the odds when selling the house that the next buyer will call them out on it. The other thing is if something were to go wrong like a fire or something your insurance may not cover it because a permit wasn't pulled. I have a tankless and it's outside my house. I could be wrong but one in an attic sounds odd. I'd pull a permit to be on the safe side.
0 votes
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Millie -

The answer very much depends on your local codes. Search for permit requirements for your local city or county and that should give you the answer on what is required. Your local plumber will also know.

Web Reference:  http://www.TalkToCJ.com
0 votes
Teresa Krawi…, Agent, Covina, CA
Sat Apr 2, 2011
Hello Millie,
the best choice would be to place a call to the building department in the city where your property is located and ask them that specific question.
A local contractor who will install that water heater for you should be knowledgeable about that local requirement in regards to permits.
Hope this is helpful!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more