Where do you turn to for information regarding building contractors/remodelers?

Asked by Suz A, Longmont, CO Sat Apr 28, 2012

Answers

13
Rex Fuller’s answer
Rex Fuller, , Longmont, CO
Sat Apr 28, 2012
City of Longmont building Department will give you some advise as to where to turn and who to use (or stay away from based on building code violations, etc). Also look for ads in the local paper.
The April Ne…, Agent, Berthoud, CO
Fri Feb 1, 2013
Hello Scott,
I am curious about some of the online recommended contractor sources. I recently had one of my favorite electrical contractors (Aglow Electric Inc.) say he was using service magic to purchase leads and that he was looking into Angie's List as well. I happen to know that he does a fantastic electrical job - but was wondering if he really would stand out on these sites or if anyone who was willing to pay for the leads would show up as a 'good contractor' - your thoughts?
Thanks!
April Neuhaus
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Mon May 14, 2012
Hi BoulderSuZ: One possibility that I don't see mentioned below is the Colorado Green Building Guild formerly the Boulder Green Building Guild. Since green building codes are so important around these parts, it probably pays to find someone who understands the emerging technology.

Kind regards,
Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Evenings: 303.473.1926
ron@rovtar.com
The April Ne…, Agent, Berthoud, CO
Sat Apr 28, 2012
As a Realtor - we just were given a resource guide for recommended contractors and service providers from the Colorado Association of Realtors. I contributed several companies that have provided excellent customer service and quality to that list. I am looking forward to making that information accessible to my clients this year.
I need to find an electrical contractor. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll have to look into some of the recommended contractors. It would be nice to find someone with that reputation. http://www.etcs.net.au
Flag Tue May 12, 2015
Michael Sant…, Agent, Longmont, CO
Sat Apr 28, 2012
I use accent home services Eric Hiivala (303) 809-2376 he is a trusted friend as well...
Ann Mills, Agent, Niwot, CO
Sat Apr 28, 2012
You might want to check with the Better Business Bureau and /or the City to see if they have any info on remodelers out there. We have been using Jeff Adams at AdamsHomes, (jeff@adamshomes.net), who has done some wonderful work for buyers who want to update their homes.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Sat May 11, 2013
That is smart to check with the Better Business Bureau and the city. The city can confirm that the contractor is licensed.

Thanks for adding the other resources.

I'll add a professional builder for four decades: Kevin Miller of Daystar Enterprises in Longmont.

http://www.daystarenterprises.com/html_about.html

I worked for Kevin some years ago. I'm very satisfied with work he did years ago. I have no hesitation recommending Daystar.

If you are the very cautious type, you might want to talk to two. I don't know any contractor who doesn't have photos of work they have done. Visit the web site and check them out.
Nina Harris, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Feb 1, 2013
I would also try homeadvisor.com and also check the better business bureau.
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hi Suz.

Just wondering why nobody answered 'Angie's List'. I was a GC for many years in Philly/NJ and there was no such thing as AL. If there had been, I would have joined in a heartbeat. What could be better than actual customers/homeowners that did work and are now reviewing their contractors online? Seems very trustworthy to me and worth you looking into.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller
Realty Associates
Boca Raton-Miami Beach
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Wed May 16, 2012
Great answers from great people - I like that! Many agents can steer consumers in the right direction regarding selection of a contractor.

Colorado consumers always should check with the city to learn if a contractor is licensed. As others note, they should carry liability insurance as well as worker's compensation.

I've known a general contractor here in Longmont for many years who should get a phone call if anyone wants to build a custom home or remodel. The guild is a good place to start, too.

Thanks all who added their thoughts and recommendations.
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu May 3, 2012
These are all great resources!
Very helpful... thanks people!
Flag Thu May 3, 2012
Cory Fitzsim…, Agent, Golden, CO
Sun Apr 29, 2012
I have built my own network of local service providers. I usually recommend them.
Nora Badger, Agent, Wellington, CO
Sat Apr 28, 2012
I would highly recommend Kyco Builders LLC he is a local builder/contractor with excellent local references. He has been in business for almost 20 years and he does outstanding work from Boulder to Cheyenne. He is lincensed and insured and does outstanding work. You can reach him at 970-420-6134 or kycobuilders@gmail.com. If you are looking for work for yourself or your clients, you will not be disappointed. His name is John. I hope this helps you.