What should I do for my home in cold weather?

Asked by Johncook, Seattle, WA Mon Dec 15, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Rowena Emmett, Agent, La Canada, CA
Mon Dec 15, 2008

Since you are in Seattle, we thought we would provide you with local information.

The City of Seattle has information here:

Seattle City Light has information here:

Pugent Sound Energy has information about insulation rebates for customers here:
Web Reference:  http://www.franandrowena.com
1 vote
Barbara Mcma…, , Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 1, 2009
additionally, keep doors open to unused rooms or areas and keep the heat on 55 degrees. If you have pipes in the ceiling, be very careful. They can easily freeze and flood your home. You might consider heat tape for these pipes. this applies to any pipes in crawl spaces, etc. Don't forget to drain your automatic sprinkler system. If you have tenants, don't assume they will disconnect hoses, etc. visit your home/investment to insure it is protected.
0 votes
Joyce Lowe A…, Agent, Federal Way, WA
Tue Dec 16, 2008
Hello John,

You would want to do the same things you would in any other area. Example wrap your pipes, drain your water hoses, leave a little water dripping from the faucets at night, open up the doors under your sinks to let the pipes warm up. You can find more information on what to do at:
Puget Sound Energy has information about insulation
0 votes
Mary Sunde, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Tue Dec 16, 2008
Depending on the age of your home (newer homes have frost-free faucets, insulated pipes and good insulation) make sure all pipes in attic or crawl space are wrapped, put on hose bib covers, update
weather striping. If you haven't wrapped your pipes yet and water is still running they leave water on a bit through the night to prevent pipes from freezing. Fran and Rowena gave you website to Seattle City Light.
You also want to e-mail an inspector to come check out your home or give you additional hints depending on age of your home. markmitman@msn.com is the inspector I use. I assume you are living in the home; if it is vacant it is a good idea to winterize the home which means draining all the water from pipes. You can google "winterization" to find a company close to you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more