What's the average cost for a rooftop deck to be built. I am thinking the size would be around 20x12.

Asked by Jared Franklin, Baltimore, MD Mon Aug 2, 2010

There is already an external spiral stairwell leading to the roof from a door on the second level of the home. The house is a foreclosure and I am assuming they could not afford to finish it off. Either that, or there is an issue with the roof that prevented them from building the deck.

Answers

5
Jillian Lenn…, , Baltimore, MD
Fri Jan 7, 2011
My background is in architecture and I must agree that it's very hard to answer that question. Only a licensed contractor that has reviewed the site and the structure could determine the cost. You can control the cost only to a certain degree- with some of the aesthetic finishes. Research local contractors and meet with several to get estimates. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me!
Jillian Lennox
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Fri Aug 20, 2010
Hi Jared. Here's a great link to Remodeler's Magazine for projects in different areas:

http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2009/costvsvalue/division/south…

Be very careful when you build a deck or anything on your roof. I was a GC for 15 years in Phila/NJ. Make sure you have a contractor that has done ROOF-specific work. Too many things can go wrong with the construction of a roof deck, so be careful.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
Gary Birtles, , Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Apr 13, 2015
It is a hard call to make without knowing the details of your roof. It also depends on the materials you choose to use. I suggest having an architect take a look and they will be able to tell you more accurately. You may also want to get a few opinions before you make any decisions. http://www.victoriadeck.com
Heather Manto, Home Buyer, Edgewood, MD
Tue Mar 12, 2013
I am also in Baltimore and have thought about building a rooftop deck; I am wondering if you ever accomplished this? What costs did you incur? Would you recommend a specific contracter?
Brent Kluge, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Baltimore, MD
Fri Aug 20, 2010
It is VERY hard to answer that question, because there are so many variables. Trex or wood, vinyl or iron handrails, through roof access or outside stairs, on and on.

By and large, people downtown are spending anywhere from $4,000.00 to potentially $15,000.00 on these decks and even MORE if you really want to put some bells and whistles on it. Its all in the finishes.

I would be glad to help with the entire project, from estimating, project management, helping you find and get a contractor under a legal contract, of course the Renovation Financing and even stay with you until the project is finished.
Please contact me if I could be of any assistance. :)

Brent Kluge
I am a contractor in NYC the cost of roof top decks run at starting 55.00 to 75.00 sq .
so with that being said it does come with all the bells like solar lighting, garding its getting very popular all over iam starting one down town MANHATTAN cost is 65,000 if you need any advice please email at fixyourhomenow@gmail.com
thank you all ANTHONY
Flag Thu Aug 8, 2013