Mark, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What is the least I can hope to pay to replace an entire roof for a 2,500 square foot ranch home roof in?

Asked by Mark, New York, NY Thu Feb 5, 2009

spanish tile? This assumes the house is in a community with an HOA in West Boca and there are no problems. What is the range of possible cost if there is different degrees of damage to the trusses?

Answers

5
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Mark,

Prices may vary.......

The most expensive part a roofing job is the cost of labor. Our recommendation is to not try to cut costs by skimping on the quality of materials.

If you shop around you'll find out how drastically the costs will vary. Expect bids between $25,000 and $35,000.

We would like to comment that now is the time to make a deal with these contractors as they are desperately looking for work.
Marilyn Farb…, Agent, BOYNTON BEACH, FL
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Mark, you might want to have a mold inspection and mold remediation. With water damage you may very well have problems with mold. There are inspectors who specialize in mold inspections and mold remediators. This could be very costly. MARILYN FARBER JACOBS marilynfjacobs@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://www.MarilynJacobs.com
Mark, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Feb 5, 2009
This is for a home I am considering purchasing that needs a new roof. I presume it was hurricane damage as it is beyond normal wear and tear. There is water damage in a couple rooms in the corner and ceiling & I don't know whether or not there is damage to the trusses, so I want to have a buffer in my offer in case there is..

My cousin told me I should assume minimum $35k for the roof replacement and more if there is damage to trusses. Of course this is besides the cost of the other repairs required such as to the ceiling and walls, etc. I am basically trying to calculate how much I should take off to account for repairs. I like the house and don't mind putting in work. I definitely will shop around if/when it is time.

I don't know if I will end up getting the house or not, but if I do and there is a way to get paid from the policy of the existing owners that would be great! It is a short-sale so I don't know whether they will want to help me out or not and it will be a while before we can close even if I do get it.
Marilyn Farb…, Agent, BOYNTON BEACH, FL
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Call a few roofers, maybe even a dozen of them, in Boca and Broward and ask what a new roof would cost for 2500 sq ft house using the Spanish tile you mention. Just keep on calling and calling and calling until you hear a price you think is as low as possible. Have 2 or 3 roofers go take a look and give you a report on whether the trusses need to be replaced and what that will cost. They will have to see those to give you an estimate. They may also be able to detect mold, if it is there. MARILYN FARBER JACOBS marilynfjacobs@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://www.marilynjacobs.com
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Hi Mark,

There is more than one way to look at this situation. I have a few questions about this home. Are you the current owner or looking to buy the home? How did the damage happen? Was it storm or hurricane related? Was it a leak? Did the current owners make a claim to their insurance company?

Personally, I would not make a claim without an experienced Insurance Adjuster. They are experienced in representing you against the insurance company that has -0- interest in paying your claim to your satisfaction. They will make sure you are paid for every penny of damage to the property. If this is NOT your property, and you have not yet purchased it, there is still a way to get it paid by the policy of the current owners.

Contact me at your earliest convenience and I will give you details and recommend you to a competent insurance adjuster in Boca Raton.

Scott Miller, Realtor®
Estate Specialist
Commercial RE
Business Broker
Realty Associates
561-716-4060 direct
561-451-9377 fax http://www.LoveBoca.com