What is the cost of adding a basement bathroom?

Asked by Sy Nguyễn, Chicago, IL Sat Mar 5, 2011

We are looking to add a bathroom to our basement. What would be an average estimate for adding an average bathroom with shower (no tub).

Answers

12
Benjamin Car…, , Las Vegas, NV
Sat Mar 5, 2011
There are many variables to answering this. i am a carpenter with Local 1977 as well as a Realtor in Nv. It depends if there is already piping in the area. The toilet will cost around $175-300. Plus installation. Does there need to be concrete work done in order to run the pipes or do they come through the stud walls. I would say other than the plumbing it is going to cost about $3000. This is putting in basic amenties.
Jackson Will…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Tue Feb 3, 2015
You'll most likely have to talk to a plumber to get the exact numbers for adding the additional plumbing. Other than that, I think you should be able to get pretty good deals on the bathroom fixtures. You should probably look around at various stores and online sources for information on these things though. Overall, it shouldn't be too steep of a price, but it definitely won't be cheap either.
http://gopherplumbing.com
Bob Brandt, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Fri Aug 29, 2014
Since the question was asked in 2011, perhaps Roger completed it and can tell us exactly what it cost for his particular installation..
Jeff Nobleza, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jun 15, 2014
Call Dan Huschen with HW Construction for a quote 773 593 6088
karablader, Home Buyer, Utah County, UT
Fri Jun 13, 2014
It depends on what kind of flooring and cabinets you would want. I have only renovated a bathroom before so I'm not sure what it costs to build one from scratch. Another big factor in the cost is how big you would like it to be.
Jeff Nobleza, Agent, Chicago, IL
Thu Aug 29, 2013
Call Dan Huschen who is a great General Contractor. He is at 773 593 6088. Tell him I (Jeff Nobleza) sent you.
Kara Blader, Home Owner, Salt Lake City, UT
Mon Aug 26, 2013
It depends a lot on for how much you can get the plumbing supplies. In Calgary they are a little more expensive than normal, I think.
Brian, Both Buyer And Seller, Chicago, IL
Mon Sep 3, 2012
If you're starting from scratch and dont have to demo anything or add an ejector pump it'll be around 5000.00 labor and materials and thats on the low end with average materials and size ( 5'x8'), I've done hundreds of them and you can reach me at http://www.urbchicago.com

note; most cheaper installations dont get the venting right, hence toilet not flushing correctly and you'll have a sewer smell in the room, not venting it correctly sucks the water out of the trap and or wont allow the toilet to flush the solids down all the way giving you a clogged toilet most of the time or a lot of the time anyway

Brian
Accurate Ins…, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Sun Mar 6, 2011
All good answers so far. As a starting number you can safely figure +/-10K.
Lots of contractors are used to doing this type of job. It's very common here in the City. General pricing should be about the same among contractors for the same work quoted. The two big variables are the quality level of fixtures you want and how much sub-grade and concrete work are needed.
You can buy all your fixtures for less than $1000. Which will essentially look good for 6 months, start looking bad and fall apart after the first year. I would recommend not cheaping out. However, you may have high standards and end up spending $5000 just on fixtures. Shop around and get an idea of what is all out there.
Besides the big box stores, check out Community Supply on Lincoln and Remodelers Supply on Pulaski.
Labor and misc materials should run no more than $3-5K. depending on variables.
I suggest you perform all work in a Code compliant manner. Chicago does not allow PVC in-ground. Don't let the contractor talk you into it.
Web Reference:  http://www.aic-chicago.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sat Mar 5, 2011
Depends in part on how close it is to the water and drainage lines. It also depends on whether the drain can run down toward the main drainage line. Assuming you don't have those problems--that it's fairly close to the water lines and that it's high enough that the water can drain down according to code, maybe $7,000-$10,000. That's a bit higher than I'd say for some other areas of the country, but I'm assuming construction costs in Chicago are on the high side.

Make sure you get at least 3 estimate. And don't necessarily go with the cheapest one.

Oh, and when you do get those estimates, why not come back here and give a "Best Answer" to whoever was closest!

allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Sat Mar 5, 2011
Benjamin obviously is well versed in this area. Also is it a 4 piece Bathroom, want Tub or Shower, Basics or High end, just too many variables to price. My guess would be $6000-10000 total. Best of Luck!
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Mar 5, 2011
For an accurate picture of costs, consider contacting a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates; also check with your town beforehand regarding any possible permits.