Remodel & Renovate in 10601>Question Details

Ann, Home Owner in 10601

What is the building cost per square foot for a single family home in Westchester Cty., NY

Asked by Ann, 10601 Thu Oct 13, 2011

Hi: There is a wide range of costs per square foot for construction, depending on a lot of things. Is the property level or not? Rocky? What quality finishes will you use inside or out? Usually construction costs are approximately 50% for exterior, including: foundations, walls, roofs, windows, siding, etc. & 50% for interior: including sheetrock, electric, plumbing, HVAC, lights, tile, flooring, appliances, doors, etc. Those costs can be further whittled down to approximately half for materials & half for labor. It's hard to save money in big chunks when you're doing contruction, but it's easy to save a few hundred here & there. And that adds up. Contractors with big mortgages & fancy cars usually charge more than those without. Paying more money doesn't always equal better quality work. I'd say that the minimum would probably be approx. $150 psf & the max could be over $1,000 psf. We can help you with that. Just call my office: 914-273-9688 with any questions. Sincerely, Michael Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. BTW, we're looking for more agents & offer a 70% commission split with no fees. If you know anybody who might be interested I'll pay you up to $1,000 each for your agent recruits. Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 14, 2011
We could give you the average cost for homes sold, but if you are looking to build, you can easily go from $100 per sf to $300 per sf, especially in Westchester County where you have homes ranging from a couple hundred thousand dollars to a few million and its not about size, but about finishing. One person may choose to build a $7,000 bathroom while another will choose a $50,000 bathroom. Same is true with kitchens and the rest of the house. So it all depends on what you want.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 13, 2011

You seem to want to remodel and renovate a home. Even limiting to this,your question covers a wide range of things. The cost depends on the quality of materials you chose, your contractor and the ultimate finishing touches. I really do not want to quote numbers because knowing the right people and where to get materials, appliances etc can significantly bring down your costs.

If you need any guidance, I would be glad to assist.

Steve Geiger
Associate Broker
White Plains Office
For an accurate picture of costs, contact a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates, then go from there....