What is the best color choice for solid surface countertops..bright or dark color? Do home buyers..if there are any out there still..have preference?

Asked by Matt, Illinois Fri Jan 28, 2011

Complete remodel of our kitchen that desperately needed it. Put in nice cabinets that are all plywood construction and soft-close drawers and roll-out trays. The cabinets are antique white in finish. Not really white at all...definitely antique white. We have considered different solid surface lines but we like the Staron solid surface color line-up the best. We have narrowed it down to the pebble blue, pebble beach or just plain bright white. Will add the integrated sink. We will do our own colorful tile back splash. One salesman told us the darker colors show scratches more easily due to nature of acrylic counters.

Answers

9
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Matt -

This is a great question and you are smart to ask it before making a decision. Neutral with some interest is what I always say when I am rehabbing and staging homes. Any specific color - like blue - may cause someone to dislike it and then want to reduce the price on not even buy it because of that. Bright white is no answer either - the salesman is right - darker colors or white can show scratches in solid surface. A neutral but interesting pattern is your best bet. White on antique white is too blah. The pebble beach, I agree, sounds like your best selection; however, ensure that it has a pattern and is not too light. Pattern is very important - stay away from solids, if you can. With an antique white counter, you want a little color and interest to offset and draw their attention to the nice counters - not too much attention.

One more thought, as I live in the 60441 zip code and am very familiar with the area, I want to caution you on overdoing a kitchen remodel to sell. It is a great decision to redo the kitchen - you will likely get the value of it, and people love new kitchens with fancy finishes, but make sure you are doing it to be just a little better than your competiion. You usually can't go wrong with solid surface, but I always caution people on staging to consider their buyer and their competition. Don't spend a fortune and overdo the home or you won't get the value out of it. If you want to be sure, contact me at 888-788-9544 and I can tell you for sure. Hope this helps.
George Slowi…, Agent, Frankfort, IL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
http://www.ehow.com/list_7252553_colors-laminate-countertops.html
http://www.kitchen-counter-tops.net/granite/colors-of-granit…
The two links above will give you info on best color choices for Laminate tops and Granite. Hope this will help redoing your kitchen brings good value to your home!
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Tue Feb 1, 2011
You want an opinion, here is mine... Sahara granite with white washed cabinets you described is the latest thing. Crazy, but granite is cheaper than mfg solid surface you are referring to. The radon gas thing about granite is baloney and if you keep stone sealed there isn't bacteria problems. IMHO, Natural stone is way nicer than solid surface composite.
Corey Buck M…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Sat Jan 29, 2011
Matt,

I agree with Mack, it is hard to give advice without being site specific. However, since you have narrowed down your choices it will make it a little easier. First, I would not suggest the bright white. Bright white on Antique white will more than likely not look good. You will see white on white but normally it is a white marble which has some graining which helps break up transition from top to cabinet. So your left with two colors. Ask yourself: Are we planning on selling this home in the near future? If so, then go with the more neutral color of the pebble beach. It will appeal to a wider range of Buyer if you are planning on selling. The pebble blue is probably a personal preference and if you intend to stay in the home for a long period of time, then you should go with what will make you happy.

These are always hard decisions, so I hope this view point provided some assistance.

Respectfully,
Maya Thomas…, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Take a step back and look at the home from the street, from the front door and in the kithcen. Notice the colors that are standing out. If the only item in the home that you will be changing in the home is the counter top than pay careful attention to the flooring, cabinets, appliances and lighting. These items will help you choose the perfect counter top. If you are more confused by my answer bring in a friend with an artistic sensibility that you trust. You will be very happy with the results.
Shannon Mill…, Agent, Richmond, VA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
First off, I would go with whatever is going to make YOU happy. You are the one who is going to be living there and you worked hard for your money to buy them so you should get to enjoy them!
That being said, if you are just doing this for resale value, I would personally stay away from the blue. That is a pretty specific color and will not appeal to the masses. I would opt for the more neutral which sounds like it would be the beach or the white. (Is the beach a tan or cream?) I used to have Corian counters that were pure white and I HATED them as they stained easily and I have kids so that happened often.
Good luck and enjoy your kitchen remodel!
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Realistically, Matt, you can't consult on interior decorating remotely. You have to be there. You can hire your own decorator for really cheap, or use one from a showroom.
Davide Salaf…, , Rochester, NY
Fri Jan 28, 2011
I would go with the Pebble Beach, which I'm guessing is a sandy color. This looks great with that antique white cabinet look. This way when you add a colorful backsplash it will "pop" against the cabinets and counter tops. Good Luck!
For more buying and selling tips, please visit http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com

Salafia Sold Team
585-279-8210
http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com
http://www.FindRochester.com
Linda Dressl…, Agent, Schaumburg, IL
Fri Jan 28, 2011
Well, I think that color is a personal choice, but if you are doing this to attact home buyers... the salesman was correct about dark colors, and white tends to be too much/bright for others (I think it is a fear of how to keep it clean looking and pristine). I'd go with the middle tone. If by pebble beach you mean a sandy color. I think that would go nicely and be the 'neutral' to go with... Only one opinion of course.