What are general construction costs for a 4/2 house while demolishing the current home in Sunnyvale?

Asked by Guta, Sunnyvale, CA Sat Jan 30, 2010

Answers

6
Timber Creek…, Other Pro, Los Altos, CA
Wed Feb 10, 2010
We just completed a knock down rebuild in Monte Sereno, house was 4400 square feet when completed. Cost was $244 per square foot.
We are starting another same project in Los Gatos, house will be 1900 square feet when completed. Cost is $215 per square foot.

We would be more than happy to help you out with this project if needed.
I was born and raised in Sunnyvale, and my dad and uncle built quite a few homes there in the 60's.

We are very familiar with all the architect / designers in the area and can take this project from start to finish for you.

I have provided a link to my website below.
If you need any more information feel free to use the "Request An Estimate" page on the website.
Timber Creek…, Other Pro, Los Altos, CA
Thu Feb 11, 2010
No it does not.
We usually let the client take care of those items.
We have designers and architects that we work with if the client needs some direction on that issue.
Marcy Moyer, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed Feb 10, 2010
Timbercreek,
Does that include permit fees, design costs, and landscaping?

Marcy
Web Reference:  http://www.marcymoyer.com
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Mon Feb 1, 2010
Hi Guta, The ladies who have commented below prove that there is a range of costs. Ironically "general construction" costs are a matter of opinion because they are subjective. One of the estimates below would lead me to believe standard is general and the other is that above average is general.

If you have extraordinary taste, maybe high style appeals to you, then you could easily spend 400-600 per square foot of finished construction.

A little tip: There are "basic construction" costs that every builder will provide as a baseline. Most, probably all contractors, do not estimate the cost of details like plumbing trim, lighting trim, appliances and a number of other decorator items. Don't get me wrong, they will give you an allowance. You know what an allowance is? A: The absolute minimum to make it pass final inspection to gain an occupancy certification.

So averages are very important to consider. The most important of those...the overage average (OA) It will run 18 to 27% of original construction 'cost to build'. Just be aware that the budget is never what your residential remodel project will land. Knowing this, you will make better choices and remember... keep fresh batteries in your calculator.

I hope you find the process an enriching one. It supposed to be.

Michael
http://losgatoshomesandrealestateblog.com
Marcy Moyer, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Sat Jan 30, 2010
I have clients who are getting quoates of $250-$350 a square foot including all costs, demo, permit, plans, and constuctions.

Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Monica Goyal…, , Cupertino, CA
Sat Jan 30, 2010
Hello Guta,

Demolishing an existing home and rebuilding will require getting permits from the city, that means getting
an Architect to draw up the plans that will be approved by the city. On an average the construction cost
is a $150 - $200 per square foot and this is going very conservative. Depending upon the quality of materials
you use the cost can go up substantially. I have a few clients in Sunnyvale area who recently did renovation within the cost I have suggested. This does not include the cost of Architect, pertmits etc.

Hope this is helpful, if you are looking to purchase a home and weighing in differect possibilities, also take in account that it will take several months to get the project done. So you will have a mortgage payment on your new during construction plus boarding expenses of wherever you stay. Please let me know if I can help you further.

Regards
Monica Goyal
DRE # 01781926