We will be listing our Morningside home in the near future. Would replacing our Corian countertops with granite be wise financially?

Asked by Sheila, 30306 Mon Jan 25, 2010

Answers

6
Kevin White, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Wed Mar 4, 2015
Hello there,

If the cabinets are newer or still are on-trend and the Corian is the only item "dating" the kitchen then I recommend replacement. A nice finish and light color is Santa Cecelia or Gold Santa Cecelia granite. Stay away from Uba Tuba (black/dark green hew) and Baltic Brown which were over-used because of their affordable bulk price points in the beginning of the granite trend. Those colors can potentially "date" your kitchen even though it is indeed brand new granite. NOTE- If the cabinets also need replacement because of condition or really off current trends/materials then simply leave the Corian but price the home accordingly to include those potential kitchen upgrades if comparable homes offer updated kitchens. Thanks!
Bev West, Agent, Greeley, CO
Thu May 15, 2014
Depends on the price range of your home. If you are in the high end, I would think it would pay off.
Lisa Allen,…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Thu May 15, 2014
Great all around contractors that I use. Here is their current offer:

L Squared Design had a special offer for you and your neighbors: From now through June 15, 2014, L2 Design will take 10% off of any home refinish/remodel/repair project valued at up to $3000 and 20% off projects of $5000 or more! Our mission is to help you achieve a home you can LOVE--without the inflated prices so common in this market. We remodel, refinish and refresh spaces, big and small. Our CAD-based design services give you full visibility and creative input on everything from custom built-ins to entire rooms.

You can contact us at 770-675-6120 or lsquareddesign@yahoo.com for complimentary estimates on:
· Kitchen and Bathroom design and remodeling
· Cabinet refinishing
· Handyman/repair work
· Our exclusive "SpaceliftTM" spruce up, a new solution to quick, budget-friendly room renovation and decorating
· Staging for home sale
· Whatever you may need...If it's home-related, we can probably help--or help you find someone who can.

We look forward to serving you!
Johnny Yanko…, Agent, Gainesville, VA
Sun Mar 14, 2010
Hi Shelia:

How are you doing?

Have you been around the neighborhood to see what is "the standard" there? In my experience, I have seen some home seller's "over-improve" as a way to get a higher price, even though it might not net more on the sale.

However, if other homes in the area have Corian counters, than it may set you apart. Also, it depends on how you are going to pay for the upgrade, wheather you pay cash or credit, and who is going to do the work.

ln the end go with your gut, hope this helps,

Johnny Yankoviak
Weichert Realtors
Gainesville, VA
Hotlantan, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Tue Mar 9, 2010
I'd think really carefully about this, because I believe granite is on the way out as a design choice. It is already starting to look dated in some cases. There are some emerging trends (tinted sealed concrete, solid-backed glass, etc.) that may or may not catch on, so I wouldn't recommend those just yet. It all depends on how far in the future you expect to put the house on the market, and whether you're trying to get a quick sale or just bide your time until the market picks back up. Even so, there will still be a lag effect for some time before the newest trend catches on, so you're probably safe in your style assumptions. The bulk of buyers in the near-term will probably still consider granite counterops as being the epitome of style.

Given your area (Morningside) and what standard features most buyers expect for that price point in that neighborhood, you might want to consider it in order to have a competitive property on offer. Look at the other homes for sale on your street or in your immediate vicinity -- do *they* have granite countertops? If they do, they have an edge over you and will likely sell more quickly than your property would.

If you *do* decide to go ahead with the granite upgrade, something muted and tasteful/classic would be your best bet, and make sure you do rounded edges or the more expensive ogee edge (which costs more but looks very high-end). Also keep in mind that the construction business has slowed dramatically in this down economy, so you should be able to get a very competitive price for the job (even though it doesn't really cost all that much anyway, especially if you go with a basic granite and nothing too fancy).

While you may not recoup your costs entirely, this value in adding this kind of feature is that it will help you sell your house much faster. That is to say, if you spend $5K replacing the counters, you shouldn't expect to be able to tack on an extra $5K to the sales price; but the upgrade may well be the feature that sells somebody on your kitchen (and, by extension, your home). Thus, the real financial payoff is that having this kind of stylistic edge over the competition allows your home to sell more quickly (costing you less in the long run).
Web Reference:  http://clickscape.com/
Linda Ginex, Agent, Newport Beach, CA
Mon Jan 25, 2010
They say buyers have come to expect granite when they view a remodel. However, sometimes corian fits the look better than granite. For instance, if your kitchen was french country- granite would look pretty ridiculous. It really depends on how well your existing corian looks with your decor. Hope this helps. If you want to send me some pictures of your kitchen, I'd be happy to lend my professional eye for design and give you a quick answer.