We live in the NE Heights and started remodeling about one and a half years ago. It has been a real learning process. Do not ever use Steve Valdez!?

Asked by Anndildy, Albuquerque, NM Tue Apr 3, 2012

Answers

6
Chris Nyman…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
OMG, it always takes longer than usual - but that is WAY too long! One can build a whole house in less time. A major remodel should never take more than 9 months - and 3-6 is the usual span. You should not let this joker ruin your life. Even if it's more expensive consider firing your contractor and hiring a new one. I love Vincent Urioste. Call me and Ill give you his number. Mine is (505) 440-6293.

PS To anyone who is no experienced with home renovations: NEVER pay your contractor more than a 30% deposit up front! Never, Never, Never. Large jobs may be 20% up front and 20% every 2-3 weeks and/or at certain prescribed accomplishment intervals.
Jewel Casabl…, , Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
It is unfortunate that you had such bad experience. However like Leigh-Jo says: when assembling your team not only your Real Estate Agent, but your lender could be a valuable source of information.

For example: Did you know you could have had the cost of repair included in your mortgage? We could assist you in contracting a certified contractor that is also a 203K certified. We pay the contractor as the job is getting done. We hire ONLY contractors that have proven clean track record.

If you still need help getting the job done, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jewel Casablanca-Wagner
Senior Mortgage Consultant
505-508-8372
Gateway Mortgage Group
Leigh-Jo Anz…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
While the situation you encountered is unfortunate, it is a learning process. Although, I imagine that's the last thing you want to hear. However, on-hands as well as trial and error are the best ways to gain experience. You can read about DIY projects all day long, but it's not until you actually roll up your sleeves, that you add to your "To Do" list, a section titled, "Not To Do".

When assembling your team, your real estate agent can be a valuable resource. We work with numerous industry professionals regularly within real estate and have seen those to avoid and those to really consider.

AngiesList.com is a company who has been around since the mid '90s. They have over 2 million members that have created reliable ratings and reviews on local contractors.

With your remodel, be sure not to over improve. The market is still recovering. The last thing you want is to discover that you're unable to get back what you put into it.

If you'd like for me to provide you with a free market valuation of your area, just complete the following form at: http://www.syan.com/valuation. There's no obligation. The report will give you an idea of what current property values are and what you can expect in the near future.

Leigh-Jo
Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
Web Reference:  http://www.Syan.com
Steve Quinta…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
Please give me a call if you decide to sell your current home and buy a new one.
Susan Agosti…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
I am so sorry to hear about your misfortune. Getting references from family and friends or realtors
are the best sources of reliability. Checking BBB to see if any complaints have been filed is also a
great resource. I work with a wonderful contractor who is licensed and has numerous testimonials
from past clients. It is unfortunate that not everyone who is in business for themselves takes pride in what they do. They do the minimum just to get by and as long as they get paid, they don't care what the final outcome is. I'm glad as a consumer you are speaking out. If you need someone to finish the job, I will be more than happy to pass on my contractor's information. Good Luck to you.

Susan Agostini
Pargin Realty ERA
10200 Corrales Rd. NW Ste. E@
Albuquerque, NM 87114
Cell: (505) 400-3307
Office: (505) 898-4600
Email: susanagostini@parginrealty.com
Website: susansellsriorancho.com
Arthur Miller, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Tue Apr 3, 2012
I have done a few renovations myself and I learn something new every time I get one done. While the project is underway it can be kind of trying but when you have a finished product it makes it all worth while... well there was that one time when the market fell apart and I was just happy to break even.