We live in Californi and have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. We want to change a full bath to 3/4, how does

Asked by Marita, San Diego, CA Thu Mar 26, 2009

We live in Californi and have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. We want to change a full bath to 3/4, how does this affect the value of the home (if at all)? If we decided to sell down the road, would we have to list it as a 1 and 3/4 bath home, or could it list as a 2 bath home?

Answers

2
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Mar 26, 2009
Hi Marita,

I worked for my parents early in my career who both built and renovated houses and apartments. Below is what you need to consider:

1. It depends on many things, are your current bathrooms 2 full baths?
2. Is one in the master and the other an upstairs guest bath?
3. If yes to 1 & 2, which one do you ant to convert?
4. If it is the master, it may help your value if you are going for a walk in shower.
5. If it is the guest bath, you may want to reconsider.
-If you live in a family neighborhood and a couple with young kids looks at the home, they will want a bath.
6. Hire a licensed contractor, check their referrals, make sure they get permits.
7. In order to do 6, you will need a plan to submit. Cantractor should be able to apply.
8. Your home will then be a 3 BR 1 3/4 BA

Hope this helps,

Mark and Kari Shea
San Diego Real Estate Experts
Foreclosure, Short Sale & Investment Specialists,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Patti Philli…, , Carlsbad, CA
Thu Mar 26, 2009
Marita, I'm not sure of your reasoning for changing a full to a 3/4 bathroom, but yes, it could affect your resale-ability. Most times people want a completely seperate bathroom for others to use other than a "master" bathroom. As far as listing if it is a 3/4 or full bath- permitting will determine how the home is listed in the tax records after this- and if you don't pull proper permits (which I always suggest that you do- a compliant home is easier to sell in the future). If you don't pull proper permits the tax records would still show a 2 bedroom, and future buyers might wonder why there is a discrepancy.

If I might help you with any further questions, don't hesitate to get in contact with me.

Patti Phillips
"Advice You Need, Attention You Deserve"
800-680-9133