We are in process of getting our house ready to sell. We spent $$ on updates already. We have old a/c unit 0 seer, should we replace or offer warrnty

Asked by Karflan, Plano, TX Thu Sep 22, 2011

Answers

14
J, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Hi Karflan,

If you were a potential buyer of a home with this concern then what would you want the seller to do for you? Most housing concerns can be answered as a seller by putting yourself in the buyers shoes. Good luck!
Amanda Mack, Agent, Keller, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
I would suggest you offering a home warrantee. You will not get your return on the new AC unit plus you will not get to benefit from it. Good luck with your sell, please let me know if I can help in any way.

Amanda Mack
(325) 660-9395
Amy Arey, Agent, Allen, TX
Thu Mar 12, 2015
An item like this will likely come up anyway during negotiations. If it's at the end of its life-span and your warranty will cover it, go ahead and get it replaced. If not, and you want to save the additional funds, in this market, you can stress to the other agent that you are offering a warranty (keeping in mind that for the new buyers...some of the warranty companies will not cover it if it's at the end of the life-cycle and the inspection recommended replacement ((and it wasn't replaced prior to the purchase)). If you are making a decent profit from the sale, you can also just offer an allowance so that you do not have to worry about the up-front cost of replacement.

-Amy S. Arey, Realtor
Halo Group Realty, LLC
214.901.1341-Cell
http://www.Aarey.HaloAgent.com
AmyAreyRealtor@Gmail.com
John Safstrom, Other Pro, Allen, TX
Fri Sep 23, 2011
Hi Karflan, you have received a lot of great information so far. Definitely get the units looked at by a good A/C company (let me know if you need a rec). If they are still functioning correctly, you may just want to provide an allowance in the negotiations.

If you want to help your house stand out from everything else out on the market, you may want to get a pre-listing home inspection. I added a link to how it may benefit you at the bottom.

John
Systematic Home Inspections
214-600-4344
http://www.systematichomeinspections.com
Sue Riley, Agent, Celina, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
My advice would be to have the unit serviced if you have not already done so this year. Then you can put seller's coverage in place with a home warranty company and offer the year to the buyer. Remember it is usual for a seller to purchase a warranty for a buyer in this area.
You also need to take into account your neighborhood and market conditions. If there are other homes for sale in the area with updated AC that will be your competition you may find that you have to reduce the price to take this into account.
Your listing agent should be able to advise you taking all these factors into account. If you do not already have an agent to list your home I would like the opportunity to meet with you and share my services with you.
Melissa Hail…, Agent, Plano, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Karflan,
You have received some great information below. I agree that you would not necessarily get any return on the investment by replacing the AC unit at this time (assuming that it is working properly). However, after a home inspection you may have to make repairs/replacement if required. As for the home warranty, a buyer will expect you to pay for a 1-year home warranty for them at closing and you do have the option to have "seller coverage" through a home warranty company while your home is listed for sale in the MLS. There is usually no up-front cost for the seller coverage, as it is also paid at closing when you purchase the buyer's home warranty.

What other updates have you done to the home? There are certainly some good guidelines to follow to get the most return on your investment. Kitchens and Bathrooms are the winners when it comes to updates, but there are many other items to consider. I believe that your home needs to be in tip-top shape in order to get the highest price. Remember - you are in a beauty contest AND a price war with the other homes for sale. Having the home ready before you hit the market...and having the right price....are the most crucial parts of selling a home.

We would love to meet with you to discuss options for selling your home and purchasing a new one in Plano. I live in the area and know it well. Also, there is no cost/obligation to you for our consultation. We will meet you at the home, discuss pricing, marketing, the real estate market, and we provide home enhancement recommendations. Please visit our website for more information.

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team, Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
Mary Anne Wi…, Agent, Plano, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Offering a Home Warranty would be far less expensive and covers more than just the A/C.
So many things factor into a decision like this - the market, the listing price and neighborhood as well as current effectiveness of the A/C for starters. Your listing agent should have the experience to know how all these factors relate in your area. Good luck with your sale!
Carol Perdew, Agent, Manteca, CA
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Karflan,

Homes in the best condition will sell for highest market value. I counsel my sellers to have an inspection completed especially on questionable items that are on the borderline of wearing out. A home inspection is highly recommended which will give a total picture of the condition of the home and what items may be a concern.

Just offering a home warranty may not address a problem especially if the home warranty company feels that problem was a preexisting condition. Home warranty companies will ask if a home inspection was completed when repairs are requested. Taking care of potential problems in the sale of the home will help to avoid an unhappy buyer that wants repairs after the close of escrow.

Carol Perdew
Prudential California Realty
(209) 239-7979
Carol@PerdewHomes.com
DRE 985176
Amanda Mack, Agent, Keller, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
I also wanted to mention that we can also put a seller's warrantee on your home while your property is being marketed so if there is a problem that comes up during the inspection you can claim it on the warrantee. You do not need to pay for this service until your home sells.

Amanda Mack
(325) 660-9395
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
If it works, I wouldn't change it.

Everyone should offer a home warranty. Lawsuit prevention.

Checkout home prices and market information in Plano at the link below on our Market Insider page.
ALAN WYNN, Agent, Allen, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Karflan,

Amanda is absolutely right. The majority of Buyers will ask for a home warranty as part of the contract anyway. So it makes good marketing sense to offer one up front which will help to build a higher level of Buyer confidence in your property's condition. But also be aware that if the current A/C's condition is such that the Buyer's inspector recommends a replacement, you may be required to do this anyway. However, as Amanda suggests, you will not see a return on this investment. So both Amanda and I suggest you make this improvement only if required.

If you haven't selected your Marketing Agent yet, I highly recommend you speak with Amanda. She is one of the top marketing agents in my office and does an outstanding job of getting her clients homes sold quickly and putting more money in their pockets.

Thanks for using Trulia Voices. If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Alan Wynn - Branch Manager
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Preston Campbell Regional Office
972.931.2400 (office)
214.729.5582 (cell / text)
Alan.Wynn@cbdfw.com
Web Reference:  http://cbdfw.com/alanwynn
Sherry Ellis, Agent, Frisco, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
I would have the HVAC serviced so you can offer that to the buyer and when you list I would sign up for a home warranty to cover your house while it is listed until it sells. That way if the unit doesn't pass inspection when you get a sale you will only pay for a service call to repair. This usually is about $60. Email me for further details @ sherryellis@ebby.com
Rich Homer, Agent, NAPLES, FL
Thu Sep 22, 2011
The home warranty is more valuable to the buyer for the first year, after that they would surely rather havge the newer hvac upgrade. My advice is to wait till the offer comes in and if it is decent then counter-offer to offer cash at close of escrow for the installation of the newer unit. I like options for my seller clients. Hold this one up your sleeve:)
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Your listing agent should be able to assist you what would be your best option

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com